NVR - Where do I begin?

Dauphin3

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi from Australia,
I have been reading this forum and a few others in regards to setting up a CCTV system for home. I plan on running 3 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I cameras at this stage, with the possibility of adding a fourth later on. I was contemplating getting a Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR, but I'm a little concerned about the user friendliness of the Hikvision software. Therefore I'm starting to lean towards running Blue Iris...however this adds the requirement for a 'custom NVR'.

I've thrown this NVR build together - http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Y74FPs
But really, I don't know a lot about NVR's and their requirements so I was just building a PC. Would something like that be ok?

Or, am I over complicating it, and I'll be perfectly fine using the Hikvision software? I realise that I'll also have to purchase a POE switch if I go down the custom NVR route.

TIA. Cheers.
[h=1][/h]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...look at an i5 skylake or haswell...at this stage you should look at skylake....also search the forum for elitedesk and optiplex...

Dauphin3

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, I can get a refurbed Optiplex 790 for $389. i7 2600 3.4ghz, 8gb ram, with a 250gb HDD. I'd change the HDD to a SSD to run the OS and BI. Will this be ok?

But then how do you go in terms of storing the recorded footage. I'm assuming there's only enough room is these Optiplex's for 1 drive (being the SSD). Do you have an external drive connected via USB?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, I can get a refurbed Optiplex 790 for $389. i7 2600 3.4ghz, 8gb ram, with a 250gb HDD. I'd change the HDD to a SSD to run the OS and BI. Will this be ok?

But then how do you go in terms of storing the recorded footage. I'm assuming there's only enough room is these Optiplex's for 1 drive (being the SSD). Do you have an external drive connected via USB?
ouch, pricing in au is terrible..but it is what it is...yes the ssd is a good idea for the boot drive...If its a small form factor, then you will need to mount the ssd to the power supply with double sided tape/velcro, there is no room for it otherwise...How much would it cost you to buy/build an i5-skylake?
The elitedesk from hp has room for an ssd + a 3.5....even the SFF..but NOT the ultra slim USDT, which ONLY has room for a single 2.5...

Dauphin3

n3wb
Reaction score
ouch, pricing in au is terrible..
Tell me about it! An i5-6400 alone costs approx $235...then of course I'd have to add mobo, ram, HDD, OS etc etc. I'd be looking at approx $700-$800 just to build one.
Alot of the i5 Elitedesks I'm seeing are the i5-650, which from what I can tell is dual core. Is that going to be sufficient for potentially 4 x 4MP cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Tell me about it! An i5-6400 alone costs approx $235...then of course I'd have to add mobo, ram, HDD, OS etc etc. I'd be looking at approx $700-$800 just to build one.
Alot of the i5 Elitedesks I'm seeing are the i5-650, which from what I can tell is dual core. Is that going to be sufficient for potentially 4 x 4MP cams?
you dont want an i5-650, its a first gen i5, weak, and does not support quicksync which BI needs for hardware acceleration and is a power hog compared to the newer processors.

Dauphin3

n3wb
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again Fenderman - I would've PM'd you to ask this but my post count isn't high enough yet.

Would that PC that I linked to earlier in the thread be ok for an NVR?
http://www.reboot-it.com.au/used-dell-optiplex-790-sff-core-i7-2600-3.4ghz-4gb-250gb-dvdrw-windows-7-pc-computer-cheap.html

Or would I be better spending a little more and going with
http://www.reboot-it.com.au/used-dell-optiplex-9010-sff-3rd-gen-quad-core-i7-3770-3.4ghz-4gb-500gb-hdd-dvd-win-7-pc-cheap.html

Cheers
The difference isnt worth 70 dollars...