NVR Wireless Setup

Reaction score
Wanting to get a camera setup using an NVR box. I would like to install it with hidden wires but the issue is the box needs to be connected to a router, which will then have the wires exposed going to the NVR box. Is there a way for me to connect it wirelessly? I was thinking a PLC ethernet bridge but wasn't sure if this would work. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wanting to get a camera setup using an NVR box. I would like to install it with hidden wires but the issue is the box needs to be connected to a router, which will then have the wires exposed going to the NVR box. Is there a way for me to connect it wirelessly? I was thinking a PLC ethernet bridge but wasn't sure if this would work. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, a powerline adapter (PLA or PLC) should work, but be advised wired with CAT-5e or 6 cable, of course, is your best solution. I have a TP-LINK PLA/PLC pair in place running from ONE camera to my router because of no attic or crawl space access and brick exterior, but that's only ONE camera and ONE video stream and it handles it beautifully, 1080p @15 FPS. But in your case you are expecting the PLA to carry MULTIPLE camera streams between the NVR and the router and that might be more of an bandwidth issue...you can try.

That being said, your biggest bottleneck will likely be the wireless router trying to handle several wireless cams, especially if more than just 2 or 3 and using high frame rates. Keep camera resolution as low as tolerable and frame rate not over 10 or 15 with matching iframe.

This TP-LINK AV1000 pair is rated gigabit and is what I have and it has performed very well....but again, that's just 1 cam.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT and if you have not done so, please read the Cliff Notes above in the Wiki. :wave:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
This is awesome. Thank you for the reply. I will be only setting up 2 cameras wirelessly and will be using cat5. So you would bridge the camera with the router and not the NVR? Camera>plc<plc>router? I’m guessing the nvr would pick up the cameras on the wifi network? I have a bunch of Zinwell- 8171 Poe adapters from work so I will gives these a try first. Thanks again! I am new to camera installation and will be learning a lot from this site

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @cameranoobie, there is different roads leading to Rome. Like @TonyR suggested: the easy way is to connect your wifi cams to your (internet) router, you make a powerline connection from the NVR (P2P to say) to a powerline outlet close to your router, and plugin that ethernet into the router. The NVR will then "record" and "analyse" the streams coming from the cameras, over the router, into the powerline and terminating in your NVR. But powerlines tend to be "situational stubborn", meaning that even a device certified as gigabit, can be a pain in the **s because of: - your wiring goes twice around the house, - induction from external radio signals, - fuses giving resonance in the signals, - or just because they can.
Another way of looking at a potential setup (in my opinion a bit more "nice" in point of view of security, as the cams are "separated" from your home wifi): depending on your NVR (having a DHCP on board on POE camera ports or not): you could install a "simple" access point, on which your cams connect to. You'll only need a powerline uplink (which will only be used when you actually view NVR/camera footage). It will for sure guarantee a "certified" uplink from the cams to the NVR.
All depends on how simple/sophisticated you want your setup to be, but also depends on your $$ :)
Choices choices :p
I like your idea of "hiding" all cables, but in the end, your NVR needs power too (are you making an electrical outlet in a closet)? Then you'll quickly face other challenges, as NVRs get hot. And you'll need ventilation. Another thing to think about: I prefer my NVR to be up&running 24/7. Even with powerloss. So drag in a UPS too (or put that NVR electrical outlet on a protected UPS circuit). So again, choices choices :) If it is because you want NVR footage with HDMI to a TV on top of a closet, I can advice HDMI over UTP extenders, so you can hide your NVR somewhere really hidden :)
Good luck!
CC