NVR with built in Web Server

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have done a bunch of reading here and there is some great info. I am pretty much decided on the new Starlight 2MP cameras as soon as Andy gets stock. Now I need to pick an NVR. 8 or 16 ports, I don't mind overkill since I will probably start with 4 cameras but feel I will get crazy later on. However, I would like something with a build in Web Server so that I do not have to set up VPN. I don't want to build a PC to do this I really want an appliance but I would like an easy way to access remotely.

Otherwise I am getting I will have to buy some sort of VPN appliance and then port forward to that appliance since my router does not have a DMZ, and from what I have read bridge mode does not work well on it.

Appreciate any help or suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have done a bunch of reading here and there is some great info. I am pretty much decided on the new Starlight 2MP cameras as soon as Andy gets stock. Now I need to pick an NVR. 8 or 16 ports, I don't mind overkill since I will probably start with 4 cameras but feel I will get crazy later on. However, I would like something with a build in Web Server so that I do not have to set up VPN. I don't want to build a PC to do this I really want an appliance but I would like an easy way to access remotely.

Otherwise I am getting I will have to buy some sort of VPN appliance and then port forward to that appliance since my router does not have a DMZ, and from what I have read bridge mode does not work well on it.

Appreciate any help or suggestions.
they all have built in webservers...that does not negate the need for vpn..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just buy a new router with built in support for running a VPN server like the ASUS RT-AC68U

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot completely bypass my existing router since it also drives my phone from ATT Uverse. So I will have to buy a secondary router and port forward to it. I was just hoping to avoid that. I was hoping to buy an NVR that connects to a cloud service that bypasses the need for a VPN.

I will probably end up buying the ASUS to stick behind the NVG589 that ATT forces me to use.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will probably end up buying the ASUS to stick behind the NVG589 that ATT forces me to use.
You can get that Asus for $60 from t-mobile (don't need to be a tmo cust).
Simplest way to set that up would be to turn off WiFi on the NVG, put the Asus in a DMZ and connect all your wired devices to the ASUS

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I could not find the router on TMO, but I will pick one up somewhere. Now that I am resigned to setting up the VPN which DVR should I buy. 16 Ports will be overkill so that's fine. Do I want a Quad Core or Dual Core. I will be using the new Starlight cameras so what is the best Dahua NVR to get?

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Found it. With the coupon code it came out to $59 plus tax and shipping. Still a great deal. It's on the way.