NVR with IFTTT ability

cutiger94

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post so forgive my ignorance here -

I am looking for (but not finding) a NVR box similar to some of the Hikvision embedded linux boxes like DS-7608NI-E2/8P b
ut with IFTTT support like EZVIZ setups have.

My end goal is to be able to support 3MP x 4 cameras, not be locked into specific cameras (as I understand EZVIZ is), and be able to trigger home automation devices via IFTTT recipes. EZVIZ hits most of my key points, but I really don't like being locked into specific camera choices and also the whole EXVIZ services, such as DNS.

The other option might be to build a PC and use blueiris to do this, but seems like a specialized hardware box would be preferred here, and in theory, should be less expensive.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I am looking for (but not finding) a NVR box similar to some of the Hikvision embedded linux boxes like DS-7608NI-E2/8P b

My end goal is to be able to support 3MP x 4 cameras, not be locked into specific cameras (as I understand EZVIZ is), and be able to trigger home automation devices via crecipes. EZVIZ hits most of my key points, but I really don't like being locked into specific camera choices and also the whole EXVIZ services, such as DNS.

The other option might be to build a PC and use blueiris to do this, but seems like a specialized hardware box would be preferred here, and in theory, should be less expensive.

Thanks!
A blue iris pc for your load can be had anywhere from 100-300 dollars i5-sandy bridge/i5-skylake ...search optiplex and elitedesk on this forum..
That said, ifttt is basically useless with ezvis as the motion detection is accurate or usable for true ifttt support...also search the forum for better camera options..specifically dahua starlight cameras as well as some new hikvision low light cameras (no reviews on them yet)

cutiger94

n3wb
Reaction score
A blue iris pc for your load can be had anywhere from 100-300 dollars i5-sandy bridge/i5-skylake ...search optiplex and elitedesk on this forum..
That said, ifttt is basically useless with ezvis as the motion detection is accurate or usable for true ifttt support...also search the forum for better camera options..specifically dahua starlight cameras as well as some new hikvision low light cameras (no reviews on them yet)
In a past life I job I installed some Hikvision cameras, and have been pretty sold on them, and have seen many positive reviews on the dahua too. Thanks for the input!

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

My end goal is to be able to support 3MP x 4 cameras, not be locked into specific cameras (as I understand EZVIZ is), and be able to trigger home automation devices via IFTTT recipes. EZVIZ hits most of my key points, but I really don't like being locked into specific camera choices and also the whole EXVIZ services, such as DNS.

Thanks!
I am curious what you are doing with IFTTT and home automation?

cutiger94

n3wb
Reaction score
I am curious what you are doing with IFTTT and home automation?
My general idea is to be able to be able to do several different recipes, like have wifi enabled light switches controlling both indoor and outdoor lights. I know exterior cameras might be too sensitive for some of this, but for example, if the camera in the garage picks up motion between 12:01 am and 5:30 am, start flashing interior lights in garage as well as start playing the Echo in my room with something (maybe a track of dog barking that will wake my own lazy dogs up and get them barking). But I also should be able to set up proximity recipes keying off my own phone. If my phone is arrives at my house after dark, turn on certain lights, etc.

Like I mentioned, the outdoor sensitivity might not be feasible, but ideally if I could get it tuned - outdoor motion "after hours" could trigger a sequence of interior lights. Motion sensing floods are fairly easy to identify, but a light turning on inside a house at 2 am might get a bit more attention, or a flashing porch light, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
if the camera in the garage picks up motion between 12:01 am and 5:30 am, start flashing interior lights in garage as well as start playing the Echo in my room with something (maybe a track of dog barking that will wake my own lazy dogs up and get them barking).
Like I mentioned, the outdoor sensitivity might not be feasible, but ideally if I could get it tuned - outdoor motion "after hours" could trigger a sequence of interior lights. Motion sensing floods are fairly easy to identify, but a light turning on inside a house at 2 am might get a bit more attention, or a flashing porch light, etc.
You will get too many false alerts - even one false alert in middle of the night and your plan is destroyed.....aside from that, this could be accomplished with a zwave motion sensor with 100 percent reliability and no need to provide hikvision (a chinese government owned company, known for security issues) with system access...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
My general idea is to be able to be able to do several different recipes, like have wifi enabled light switches controlling both indoor and outdoor lights. I know exterior cameras might be too sensitive for some of this, but for example, if the camera in the garage picks up motion between 12:01 am and 5:30 am, start flashing interior lights in garage as well as start playing the Echo in my room with something (maybe a track of dog barking that will wake my own lazy dogs up and get them barking). But I also should be able to set up proximity recipes keying off my own phone. If my phone is arrives at my house after dark, turn on certain lights, etc.

yeaahhh, cloud based home automation sounds like a freaking horrible idea. the ONLY things I do related to my home automation over the net is arm and disarm the system over an SSL encrypted connection, also you are adding lag to the system, if the internet goes down you are fucked lol. I lost internet last night in fact at 2am, went to bed, dunno how long it was down but I would have been asleep without a working security and automation system, hell with that lol. set up something local and yeah zwave is awesome, the response time is more than enough for nearly everything unless maybe you are trying to swing a PTZ around to a preset or something in a situation where you will only have like 1 second to catch what you want.

cutiger94

n3wb
Reaction score
You will get too many false alerts - even one false alert in middle of the night and your plan is destroyed.....aside from that, this could be accomplished with a zwave motion sensor with 100 percent reliability and no need to provide hikvision (a chinese government owned company, known for security issues) with system access...
I'm finding zero outdoor rated zwave motion sensors. Well, there is the Aeotec, but they explicitly tell you to disable motion if outside, and only use temperature and humidity sensors.

OhCrap

n3wb
Reaction score

Thanks!
You might be have some luck using IFTTT email integration. I'm new to this world, but it's my understanding that all these NVR units will send email notifications, so, maybe you can link your email in IFTTT and have it trigger the lights that way. Probably smart to create a new email account so IFTTT doesn't read all your personal emails. If the alerts are different, IFTTT should be able search the text for key words (name of cam) and you could have different alerts trigger depending on which sensor tripped. I've never tried this, because I am also in the research phase of my system purchase, but it seems like it would work.

Ninkasi

n3wb
Reaction score
There is an app called Lechange that will work with IFTT using motion detection to trigger different actions. The App works with Dahua products like Montavue and probably Lorex. It may work with others as well not sure though. It definitely works with Montavue as that is what I have and have tested.