NVR with limited data budget - can anyone help?

David0

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m looking for 4x IP cameras (mounted outdoors, with a mix of fixed direction and PTZ.) plus an NVR. The cameras should connect via ethernet to the NVR, and be viewed remotely only by connecting to the NVR. I don’t want to use WiFi anywhere, partly as it uses extra power. This is for a cabin in a remote location, solar powered (PV panels, battery & inverter) with web access via a mobile broadband connection.

I need to be able to remotely command the NVR to stream video, and to stop streaming. Normally it should not be streaming, to minimise mobile data usage. It should stream to me directly (to an IOS app and/or a MacBook), and not via a provider’s gateway in wherever. And a NVR that isn’t using data unless commanded to, i.e. it doesn’t constantly access 3rd party IP addresses.

I’ve looked at a number of systems - but most are designed for users who just want each camera to stream directly to the internet, and for them to access it via a vendor’s proprietary app with data routed via that provider’s proprietary server.

Most NVR specs don’t provide enough information to help me select a solution. Can anyone make a suggestion please?

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would use a Dahua NVR with POE ports (like a NVR5208-8P-4KS2, available through the trusted vendor here Andy) and block all internet access to the NVR in your (MiFi) router.

Then, if you want to view the footage you want to use a VPN like OpenVPN. Some routers have this functionality built in, if yours doesn't I'd go with a Raspberry Pi and host a OpenVPN server on there.

This way you'll 'log in' to the local network, as if you were there, and the NVR isn't able to 'call home' and use data. You'll only use data at the moments you're connected to the VPN and you're viewing the footage.

For the cams the current 'gold standard' is the HDW5442T-ZE. Best low light performance and will work perfectly with the recorder above.

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am wondering how much energy do you have to go around, especially in the winter?

David0

n3wb
Reaction score
I am wondering how much energy do you have to go around, especially in the winter?
@Perimeter, I've allowed for up to 10W per camera (with IR on) and 40W for the DVR/NVR (cameras are ideally supplied PoE). So around 2 kWh/day. There's currently 600W of panels and 8KWh of energy storage, but can add more capacity if required. I'm good on the power side of things.

David0

n3wb
Reaction score
I would use a Dahua NVR with POE ports (like a NVR5208-8P-4KS2, available through the trusted vendor here Andy) and block all internet access to the NVR in your (MiFi) router.

Then, if you want to view the footage you want to use a VPN like OpenVPN. Some routers have this functionality built in, if yours doesn't I'd go with a Raspberry Pi and host a OpenVPN server on there.

This way you'll 'log in' to the local network, as if you were there, and the NVR isn't able to 'call home' and use data. You'll only use data at the moments you're connected to the VPN and you're viewing the footage.

For the cams the current 'gold standard' is the HDW5442T-ZE. Best low light performance and will work perfectly with the recorder above.
Hi @jarrow,

Thanks for your all your suggestions, very helpful.

Having looked at the specs and user manuals for the NVR and cameras, they look really good - perhaps too good…

You get what you pay for, but I’m wondering if there is more of a budget configuration you could recommend for domestic use? Especially for the cameras, as I may want to add more in the future.

Thx, David.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I often use the NVR4108-4KS2 with or without POE ports for smaller installs at peoples homes. Goes for < €150 for the non-poe version. Haven't had any problems with them as of yet.
Only thing to consider is the lower bandwidth, if at some point you really want 8 cameras on that recorder, it won't be able to handle it unless you dial the quality down drastically. For 4 cams it'll be ok.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And for the cameras, it really depends on your budget, surrounding and what you want to achieve. If you just want observation of what happened, you'd be fine with something like a HDW2431TM-AS, they go for less than €100,-. They don't offer a lot of AI functionality apart from regular motion detection and some IVS.

If you want better low light quality (if there is no exterior light at your cabin) and possibly want to recognize or even identify people, I'd always recommend the HDW5442's. They are also available in a version with fixed focal: 2.8, 3.6 or 6.0 mm. They'll save you about €30,- a piece compared to the variable focus HDW5442T-ZE.

David0

n3wb
Reaction score
And for the cameras, it really depends on your budget, surrounding and what you want to achieve. If you just want observation of what happened, you'd be fine with something like a HDW2431TM-AS, they go for less than €100,-. They don't offer a lot of AI functionality apart from regular motion detection and some IVS.

If you want better low light quality (if there is no exterior light at your cabin) and possibly want to recognize or even identify people, I'd always recommend the HDW5442's. They are also available in a version with fixed focal: 2.8, 3.6 or 6.0 mm. They'll save you about €30,- a piece compared to the variable focus HDW5442T-ZE.
Thank you once again, I will look at these options in more detail.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been looking for some budget options myself. I picked a NVR4208-4KS2, to get twice the bandwith. Still limited to 8 cameras. When I checked out budget cameras, I ended up returning several. The only budget camera I kept was a Dahua 2231S 3,6mm model. It is only 2MP but on a relatively big sensor chip. Night capability is OK and it did cost less than half the price of a 5442 model. Detection AI is rather limited.

David0

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been looking for some budget options myself. I picked a NVR4208-4KS2, to get twice the bandwith. Still limited to 8 cameras. When I checked out budget cameras, I ended up returning several. The only budget camera I kept was a Dahua 2231S 3,6mm model. It is only 2MP but on a relatively big sensor chip. Night capability is OK and it did cost less than half the price of a 5442 model. Detection AI is rather limited.
Thanks for the suggestion.