NVR with or without POE, benefits and capabilities over one or another?

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
Most NVR's I see discussed here have POE on each of the ports. What about NVR's that do not have POE and their capability? Are they any quieter than NVR's with POE built in?

I'm curious if a non POE NVR may be best for what I'm trying to do, or would POE NVR's work as well as they are more common? Want to put a 8 port POE switch in a laundry room where all Cat cables are being ran for the house (network + security). The NVR I would like to install where my office would be on the other side of the house. From what I'm led to thinking, this would require a non-POE NVR? Or can I do the same with either device? Are there, or would there be a difference in camera control with either device and what I'm trying to set up?

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
Are they any quieter than NVR's with POE built in?
Not sure what you mean by quieter? PoE does not mean the NVR will be noisy.

There may be a fan in the NVR, but it would need one anyway. Mine is virtually silent

From what I'm led to thinking, this would require a non-POE NVR? Or can I do the same with either device?
If your NVR supports PoE, it doesn't mean it *has* to use it.
PoE doesn't work by just blindly powering the cable, there is a brief handshake protocol between the devices to decide whether or not to send Power. Personally I'd for with PoE simply because its convenient and there's no particular reason to avoid it that I can think of.

If you are powering your cams via a PoE switch, how are you planning to connect them to the NVR itself?
Would you be connecting the switch to the NVR via a single cat5 cable?

I'd just be concerned about maximum bandwidth over one cat5, especially if you are viewing up to 8 high quality streams.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The main advantage of having a separate PoE switch is that you can put it elsewhere and not have to run multiple cables all the way back to the NVR.

Having said that, I leave mine in the loft and have a cable connecting it to my router when I want to use it.

The functionality will be the same. The NVR will be loud whatever.

Don't worry about the single cable run back to the NVR. 8 cameras will be well under 100Mb/s even if you are recording them all 24/7.

msqr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My NVR is pretty noisy and it sounds like most of the high pitched whirring isn't a fan but the MOSFETs powering the POE ports?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by quieter? PoE does not mean the NVR will be noisy.

There may be a fan in the NVR, but it would need one anyway. Mine is virtually silent

If your NVR supports PoE, it doesn't mean it *has* to use it.
PoE doesn't work by just blindly powering the cable, there is a brief handshake protocol between the devices to decide whether or not to send Power. Personally I'd for with PoE simply because its convenient and there's no particular reason to avoid it that I can think of.

I'd just be concerned about maximum bandwidth over one cat5, especially if you are viewing up to 8 high quality streams.

There are a few people would have to disagree with you on that. (POE /= more noise).

Also, from what I can see the non-POE models use a separate power supply so no internal power supply, therefore no fan noise. I have yet to see confirmation of this as no one seems to have a non-POE model.

POE provided by devices that meet the 802.3af and 802.3at standard will negotiate power if needed. However, I'm not soo sure on the NVRs POE and theres also passive POE injectors which don't discriminate and blindly provide power.

8 cameras over 100mbps connection is fine (just don't max out the bitrate settings), I hope it's over cat5e or cat 6 instead of cat5 that stuff is outdated.

Also I still see people confused and interchanging MB/s for mbps. Network connection speeds, internet speeds are usually measured in megaBITS, as they are transmitted this way. It's not like a file transfer between a computer and a usb drive where it is displayed as megaBYTES/second.

You need 8 bits to make a byte. In any case say you run 8 cameras at 6144kbps + 1024kbps substream = 7168kbps x 8 = 57,344kbps/57.3mbps.

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what its worth my dahua mini tower without POE sounds pretty noisy ...

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To add to my post as well, in terms of noise/external power supply and etc. I'm talking about Hikvision. Dahua and others may be different.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I fitted my 7832 with a fan just to keep the processor cool, and as @Del Boy has said the loft is the favourite choice of installation with a POE in the loft and under stairs to keep cable runs and neat and out they.

My 7608ni/se/p already has a fan but is no louder than the hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
POE provided by devices that meet the 802.3af and 802.3at standard will negotiate power if needed. However, I'm not soo sure on the NVRs POE and theres also passive POE injectors which don't discriminate and blindly provide power.

8 cameras over 100mbps connection is fine (just don't max out the bitrate settings), I hope it's over cat5e or cat 6 instead of cat5 that stuff is outdated.
Sound like if I can't find any NVR's without built in POE, then I should look for an NVR that meet the 802.3af and 802.2at standard. This would allow me to run a single cable from the NVR (located in office) to the POE Switch I'd located in the laundry room (in a cabinet).

This method of connection, one single cat cable to the NVR, does this allow me the same abilities to set up and control the cameras as having each camera directly plugged into one of each 8 POE ports on the NVR?

My other option could be to place the NVR in the laundry room as well, I'd just have to figure out how to connect to my monitor in the office. Inside the cabinet could also resonate the sound of the fan, or overheat from lack of ventilation...

Right now I have all Cat6a cabling run through the home (originally just to network the home - prefer hard wire where I can vs wifi).

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can plug the switch into the router and then you would be able to have the NVR record through the other port (this is how I have mine setup on a 7608NI-E2/8P).

If anything you get more control of the cameras this way (as long as it's connected to your local network). Otherwise if it's isolated ie NVR - Switch - Camera it'll be the same.

CAT6A aye, you running 10GbE?

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
You can plug the switch into the router and then you would be able to have the NVR record through the other port (this is how I have mine setup on a 7608NI-E2/8P).

If anything you get more control of the cameras this way (as long as it's connected to your local network). Otherwise if it's isolated ie NVR - Switch - Camera it'll be the same.

CAT6A aye, you running 10GbE?
Lol! Nah, just a few precautions that required use of this cable, like future proofing, hdmi over ethernet, and the fact I can only run these lines about 6" away from power lines in certain areas (in middle of renovation), so want to reduce risk of interference. Was only a few dollars more to for 50' and 100' terminated lines vs cat5e.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh right. Fair enough.

I only bring this up because many people want to go for the 'best' go for CAT6A, but they don't know anything about the strict requirements to even run speeds that need a CAT6A cable.

It's more difficult to terminate ( I mean people struggle at terminating cat5e which is probably the simplest cable to terminate).

The thing with CAT6A cable is if you bend the cable too tightly, or accidentally hit the cable when hammering the cable supports, something as simple as that won't pass the cable for the category 6a test.

For what you're doing it's fine.

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahh right. Fair enough.

I only bring this up because many people want to go for the 'best' go for CAT6A, but they don't know anything about the strict requirements to even run speeds that need a CAT6A cable.

It's more difficult to terminate ( I mean people struggle at terminating cat5e which is probably the simplest cable to terminate).

The thing with CAT6A cable is if you bend the cable too tightly, or accidentally hit the cable when hammering the cable supports, something as simple as that won't pass the cable for the category 6a test.

For what you're doing it's fine.
Thanks for the heads up! No idea the Cat6a was so sensitive. Will need to be a bit more gentle when running through all the joists I drilled lol! Think I've been doing pretty good though. The 6-3 NM wire I ran through the joists for future hot tub is a different story!!!!