NVR5432-16P-4KS2E question

Muziking

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this has had to be addressed in this forum, but I cannot seem to come up with the right search keywords to find it...

Just purchased a NVR5432-16P-4KS2E from @EMPIRETECANDY Andy

which is a 32 channel NVR with 16 poe ports built in ....

Am I correct in thinking that in order to add, say an additional 8 channels, I would add a standalone POE switch simply connected to my same network that the NVR is on?

Or does the standalone POE switch connect directly to a port on the NVR ?

If the standalone simply connects to the network is it anything more than firmware/software on the
NVR5432-16P-4KS2E that makes it different from the NVR5416-16P-4KS2E model?

Is there anything different?

Muziking

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand that.... :)
is that a hardware difference or software?

Is the additional POE connected to the NVR directly?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand that.... :)
is that a hardware difference or software?

Is the additional POE connected to the NVR directly?
Its a Hardware switch and no its usually not plugged into the NVR directly, it usually is on your network someplace, in my case I have one in my garage powering 3 cameras and a cable runs back to my basement from that poe switch to another switch, My NVR also plugs into that other switch and that is where the two intersect. I do not want to confuse you but you could in fact plug it into the back of a spare port on your NVR and run your cams to that also. Search the forms here, there is a lot of networking 101 stuff. Bottom line here is YES you need a poe switch to run more than 16 cams from that NVR.

Muziking

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Chris... not confused... background/degree in Information Systems ;-)

completely understand the external(additional) POE is needed
Thats what I guess I am getting at, if its just out there on the network(not connected to NVR physically) what really makes the 32 NVR any different that the 16?

What stops you from running more cameras on the 16 version ?

software?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

Thats what I guess I am getting at, if its just out there on the network(not connected to NVR physically) what really makes the 32 NVR any different that the 16?

software?
I cannot compare the 32 to the 16 but I can compare the 16 to a few 24 I have out there, Its more than software, the hardware is in fact different.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

software?
The NVR's firmware will only allow you to register 16 channels (cameras) on the 16 version. It doesn't matter if they are plugged directly into the POE ports or a POE switch. For instance, I have the 16 port POE model and currently have 3 cameras plugged directly into the NVR's POE Ports 2-4. I also have an Axis camera plugged into a POE switch on my home network that I added via ONVIF to my NVR. When I registered it on the NVR, I had to pick a channel for it so I chose channel 1. Then, when I tried to connect a new camera to port 1 on the back of my NVR, it said I couldn't because the channel was already in use. I had to move that camera to port 5 on the back of the NVR. So, my NVR will only allow me to register 16 channels (cameras). Because channel 1 was in use by the external camera, I couldn't use Port 1 of the NVR's POE ports. Yours will allow you to register 32. Up to 16 of them can be connected to the POE switch on the NVR, or you can connect them all via a POE switch to your network.

Hope that helps more than is muddies the waters.

Muziking

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Understood..... which makes the difference seem more like software/firmware than hardware ....

Has anyone ever tried to write the 32 firmware to a 16 model :)?

Nothing I would be doing, since I did in fact order the 32 version. Just curious

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Understood..... which makes the difference seem more like software/firmware than hardware ....
Different / faster SoC and more RAM to cope with the extra load of 32 channels versus 16 channels.
Has anyone ever tried to write the 32 firmware to a 16 model
It's usually the same firmware across a model series.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Different / faster SoC and more RAM to cope with the extra load of 32 channels versus 16 channels.

I can tell you for sure on the 16 channel with all 16 cameras working it is already maxxed out as far as processing goes, that being said I do believe the processors are different. The firmware might look the same and actually be the same on some models but If I had a brand new 16 and saw some 32 firmware I would not be brave enough to do so, These are customers and for my work so I would be footing the bill if I bricked it.

Muziking

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hear you on that.... I highly doubt the firmware would just write anyway, .... surely there are some checks in the code to not allow it etc... its just a what if kind of question .

From what I see they share the exact same datasheet, which suggest they are in fact identical hardware....
Again I have not had the units in front of me, which is why I was asking here on the forum

And at the same time what if you found out you can just load a certain firmware to make your 16 channel NVR a 32 channel and they were in fact the same ?

Muziking

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Probably the same firmware file, but when it writes it likely checks version/model and writes the proper code.

Muziking

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Now that makes sense.... I noticed the datasheet I saw doesn't actually specify the SoC or memory specs... Makes complete sense, glad to know the unit is in fact beefed up.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I see they share the exact same datasheet, which suggest they are in fact identical hardware....
With the large number of buffers needed for processing each channel, RAM size is a differentiator amongst models.
As an example from Hikvision -

4 channel DS-7604NI
Code:
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       173948       161668        12280            0        57584
 Swap:            0            0            0
Total:       173948       161668        12280
16 channel 7816N
Code:
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       526256       134960       391296            0        16068
 Swap:            0            0            0