NVR5XXX-4KS2 latest new firmware.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did not do any sort of reset either and it works perfect on mine.... The new features are pretty sweet!

Inigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@rufunky and @MixManSC Thanks. My NVR firmware upgrade was also smooth with no resets required. Everything came up clean following the install, and all of my settings appear to have been maintained. Save to MP4 and the check boxes for Video and Pic are great additions!

The firmware really has come a long way in the 14 months since I bought the NVR and first few Starlight cameras from Andy. It really felt like Beta for the first few builds, but the latest NVR build even has a User's Manual that generally matches the GUI.

A couple of tips for others upgrading the NVR firmware:
- The thumb drive should be formatted FAT32, not eXFAT (which isn't recognized by the NVR)
- The NVR firmware comes as a .rar file, so the .bin file needs to be extracted before loading it onto the thumb drive for the upgrade. 9 Zip is free in the Windows Store to do the extraction. (The camera firmware comes as a .bin file, so it doesn't require extraction.)

I now have 12 Starlight cameras (1) IPC-HDBW4231F-AS, (6) IPC-HDW5231R-Z, and (5) IPC-HDW4231EM-AS, (2) DAHUA 8Port PoE Switches, and an NVR5216-4KS2, all from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY, and the system is working great. As currently configured, the 4TB HD holds 15 days of recordings. (And I highly recommend the Peplink - Pepwave Surf Soho MK3 Router, which does VLAN, VPN, and wasn't on the list of routers hacked by the Russians, as Peplink takes security seriously and does software maintenance.)

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY Is there an updated firmware that includes the new IVS functions for the NVR4XXX-4KS2 yet?
I also would like to know about it. Still looking for a recent firmware for 4xxx-KS2

Especially the newer multi language one. Can somebody provide it to me?

Thx

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The most current I can find for the NVR4xxx-4KS2 is DH_NVR4XXX-4KS2_EngFrnSpn_V3.215.0000000.4.R.180119 which is really from December. I don't think anybody can provide you something Dahua has not released. So far it appears as though only the NVR5xxx and XVR5555 (HDVCI) has this new firmware (and possibly some newer models).

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depends on the definition of "that much" of course. Right now, on andy's ali store the added cost for 5216-4ks2 internal poe is $82 (30% additional), and on the amazon store it's an even $100 (31% more). I picked up a 28 port managed poe switch for about $75, pretty much breaking even. All I'm trying to say is if I ever want to walk away from the nvr, it will be $82 to $100 easier, and if I go to BI I had to buy the external switch anyway.
@tigerwillow1 what managed 28 port POE switch did you get for $75?

Thanks,

Robert

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
@tigerwillow1 what managed 28 port POE switch did you get for $75?

Thanks,

Robert
Cisco SF300-24P on ebay. Two negatives about it: (1) The fans are darn loud. I replaced them with quieter ones that have less airflow. I'm not using the entire POE power capability and so far, no problems. (2) If you want to set up overlapping VLANs, you'd need to upgrade the firmware, which I have not done. Some other switches allow this with their original firmware. Other than those 2 gripes, it has been a good switch for me.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@tigerwillow1 tganks for the switch feedback. I recently had access to Netgear 3300 series GS728TXP 28 port with 10gig uplink.... very loud, very expensive $1100, wonky POE ports reporting strange voltage deliveries, clunky software. Great specs on paper though and probably great 10 gig performance on 4 uplink ports. So, what is overlapping VLANS?

Thanks,

R

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@rufunky @TVT73

I have not seen any release notes or anything on this. Yesterday a new firmware for the NVR4xxx models popped up. Want to be a guinea pig? I have no way to test it as I have a 5216...

NOTE - this is ONLY FOR NVR4XXX-4KS2 models. When extracted you will have the individual firmware files plus the main one for updating which is DH_NVR4XXX-4KS2_EngFrnSpn_V3.216.0000000.0.R.180605.bin. Again, I have no idea what this adds or changes, etc.
Do NOT try to download and install this on a NVR5XXX model. Click the spoiler button for the link...

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
So, what is overlapping VLANS?
Sorry I didn't see this question for 2 weeks. The managed switch can be set up to have multiple VLANs that are totally isolated from one another. Logically the same as multiple physical switches that are not connected with each other. Adding overlapping VLANs permits selected ports to belong to more than one VLAN. An IP camera example is to have all your camera on one VLAN, the rest of your network on another VLAN, and the NVR a member of both VLANs. That way, the cameras can communicate with the NVR and nothing else.

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I go here
Not sure why they make it so hard. I wish they would update the CAM firmware, the Eco Savvy 3 line has some encoding issues when using H.265, several of my cams get an intermittent encoding corruption all in the same place about 20% from left edge about 1/3 up the screen. Very random. Also some of the cams will have issues with motion events as they can;t be configured with the regions until I do a factory reset and re-set up the camera.

Since I currently have the English flash

DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_Eng_V3.215.0000000.3.R.20171211.bin

Any reason to Not update to the multi language?

DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V3.215.0000001.0.R.20180326

Or has there been an English release that I am not finding?
Rereading all these threads, in the here you go to, there is a version (DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_Internal_V3.216.0000000.0.R.20180530) released 2018-05-30, Last Modified 2018-07-02, that is newer than the most recent one you guys are using???
Anyone knows the difference?

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mlda, redfive

That is an even newer one than the original subject of this thread. I've installed it on a few IPC-HDW-4431EM-AS and N44BG52 cameras no problem.... I also downloaded it from the Dahuawiki site.

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where is the new Firmware on the International site? I just checked and they have removed it from the product page and support center. Strange.

What is the latest firmware #

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is still on the Dahua Wiki site here USA/NVR/Pro/DHI NVR52A16 16P 4KS2 - Dahua Wiki

The latest is DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_Internal_V3.216.0000000.0.R.20180530. Important - the ones that Dahua puts on the Wiki are zipped with multiple types of firmware - you just need the one with the long file name .bin. The others are for different methods of updating like using a serial console.

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I checked and I do have that firmware installed. Thank you!

I am curious to know why they took that down from the dahua website.

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is still on the Dahua Wiki site here USA/NVR/Pro/DHI NVR52A16 16P 4KS2 - Dahua Wiki

The latest is DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_Internal_V3.216.0000000.0.R.20180530. Important - the ones that Dahua puts on the Wiki are zipped with multiple types of firmware - you just need the one with the long file name .bin. The others are for different methods of updating like using a serial console.
I installed this and one issue I noticed is the FTP side. First before I go into that, I noticed there is now an option for FTP and SFTP there, but couldnt get SFTP to work.

Issue I have is that I FTP all my recordings to another machine on a different subnet, there is a route going to that subnet (192.168.0.x going to 192.168.2.x, all machines on 192.168.0.x can easily hit the 2.x network). What I noticed is the NVR CRAWLS trying to FTP anything to the 2.x network. It connects, even Test works, but the actual file transfer barely moves at a few KB/sec and then just freezes. So after an exhaustive test on this, I found that the NVR is at fault. Once I simply changed the subnet mask on the IP of the NVR from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.252.0 (basically including now the 2.x network) it connected, started transferring the files at easily 4-5MB/sec. So looks like the NVR is either getting more hardcore on security on an internal firewall and refusing to talk to other subnets (which would suck to be honest even though there is a route on the router for this).