NVR's POE or separate switch?

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive just upgraded to a hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16. Is it considered best to power my 9 cameras via the built in POE ports or a separate POE switch.

I want to integrate my NVR with home assistant but this isn't possible using the built in ports as it need to be on the same network as my HA instance.

Is a seperate switch better or am I best to stick with the built in NVR's switch?

Many thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
iirc you can pass the videos thru the NVR LAN port ..

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
iirc you can pass the videos thru the NVR LAN port ..

Hmm is that possible then? If so saves me buying a switch but I thought it wasn't.

I want to use my cameras as effectively motion sensors with my HA

I notice looking through the NVR,s settings there's an option to change the internal address from the default 192.168.254..... but I've didn't fancy changing it and messing things up.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm is that possible then? If so saves me buying a switch but I thought it wasn't.

I want to use my cameras as effectively motion sensors with my HA

I notice looking through the NVR,s settings there's an option to change the internal address from the default 192.168.254..... but I've didn't fancy changing it and messing things up.
There's a setting iirc on Hikvision to allow video pass through the NVR .. I don't have a Hikvsion nvr so this is just what I recall reading here ..