Objects far away not in center with 0 tilt (or -5 tilt)

Cold Cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I installed my very first IP cam yesterday, a DS-2DE4A220IW-DE

But there is something, probably very obvious, about the tilt geometry that I just can't wrap my head around.

Why isn't an object 2 km away, that is the exact same height as the camera, not in the center of the picture, when the camera tilt is 0 degrees? (camera center is below target) Even at -5 degree tilt, camera center is still a bit below target. So when I zoom in, I'm obviously not anywhere near what I want to see. And yes, the camera is installed level. (within 1 degree) To me it seems I need almost -10 degree negative tilt to have the target in center?
Can anyone explain what's going on here?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
But your correct just tried mine it zooms down into the bottom part of the picture then you have no tilt left to look up

Cold Cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The tilt angle is preset to -5 degree in the menu. That is the max (or minimum). Since this is a hanging camera, I assumed 0 degrees meant I had the horizon, or any distant object at the same height, in the center of the picture. But here it seems like I need closer to -10 degrees to get it level.
I actually considering getting a turret camera that can go to
-15 degree :idk:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
The tilt angle is preset to -5 degree in the menu. That is the max (or minimum). Since this is a hanging camera, I assumed 0 degrees meant I had the horizon, or any distant object at the same height, in the center of the picture. But here it seems like I need closer to -10 degrees to get it level.
I actually considering getting a turret camera that can go to
-15 degree :idk:
What model was the turret

Cold Cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't decided on anything yet, but was looking at the DS-2DE5220IW-AE or similar.

Anyhow, pictures explain this tilt issue better than words. If I want to check out the shoreline on the other side, I only see water...

0 degrees:

-5 Degrees:

-5 with 20X:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I see what your saying that’s an amazing picture to be looking at
It sad as to get what you want on this camera you would have to build some mechanical tilt back into the bracket

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you aren't dead set on Hikvision, the Dahua version of a turret-style PTZ is cheaper, has more zoom, same tilt range, and works on standard PoE+ rather than the Hi-PoE that the Hikvision wants.

Aliexpress.com : Buy New Arrival 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera SD49225T HN ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Here are some snapshots from one of those pointed up at its maximum angle. First shot is fully zoomed out. Last is fully zoomed in. In the first shot you can see some (distant) mountain peaks that are higher in elevation than the camera, yet they only barely appear at the bottom of the frame.

Cold Cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! Looks very interesting. Better low light capability too it seems?

waterjohn

n3wb
Reaction score
So I installed my very first IP cam yesterday, a DS-2DE4A220IW-DE

But there is something, probably very obvious, about the tilt geometry that I just can't wrap my head around.

Why isn't an object 2 km away, that is the exact same height as the camera, not in the center of the picture, when the camera tilt is 0 degrees? (camera center is below target) Even at -5 degree tilt, camera center is still a bit below target. So when I zoom in, I'm obviously not anywhere near what I want to see. And yes, the camera is installed level. (within 1 degree) To me it seems I need almost -10 degree negative tilt to have the target in center?
Can anyone explain what's going on here?
I had the same problem. I got an old satellite dish and used the adjustable bracket to mount the camera too. It 's not pretty but it works great.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! Looks very interesting. Better low light capability too it seems?
Possibly. I'm not sure which sensor the Hikvision camera has. The snapshots I posted above were done with 1/1 exposure (1 full second, the longest the camera will do). That is why it actually has well-defined stars.

Cold Cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same problem. I got an old satellite dish and used the adjustable bracket to mount the camera too. It 's not pretty but it works great.
Thanks!
I guess you confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the camera per se.
I could always tilt the bracket, but then I just lose elevation in the other direction (corner mount) So I'll probably try out a turret cam. The dome cam will go into the beginner mistake account...

Possibly. I'm not sure which sensor the Hikvision camera has. The snapshots I posted above were done with 1/1 exposure (1 full second, the longest the camera will do). That is why it actually has well-defined stars.
Not sure about the sensor, but I do know I can only go to 1/25 exposure on this.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of false advertising and specs that contain lies.

Here's an example of a camera that delivers slightly above horizon center view:
Pan/Tilt Range Pan: 0° ~ 360° endless; Tilt: -20° ~ 90°,auto flip 180°
Dahua SD6AE240V-HNI

Though even it lies in its spec. The webUI shows a overlay with pant/tilt/zoom position, and the max tilt it will show is "-10."

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Some cameras have the max tilt limit configurable in settings. Though I think I only saw that on a Hikvision model.