Obviously over my head

Artie812

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, so I bought the camera I wanted not the one I needed.
I have a very unique situation, I live in a subterranean home with a dome on top of the octagon concrete structure. I have a large garage that is a hundred feet or so from the subterranean structure and close to the road in front of the house. That's the blind spot. I want a camera (or cameras) up by the garage and a camera by the front 'upstairs' door so I can see who is coming and going and one by the garage so i can monitor what's going on there. Wifi and wiring is a serious consideration or should I say, problem. i also have obviously overstepped my intellectual boundaries and understanding of the requirements of my situation. My main concern is to monitor the garage area and secondarily the front upstairs door. Unfortunately there are two separate buildings and the amount of concrete and rebar in the main building make it, in reality, three buildings. (the garage, the upstairs and the downstairs) So I bought a camera, some cat6 cable and connectors, and a crimping tool, and a POE injector. What else will I need ? And how to I know whether to wire my connectors as RJ-45 T-568A or T-568B?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As long as you pick one standard and stick to it, you can use either but 568B is the more commonly used one in the US.

You'll also want some way to record the cameras, either an NVR or a PC with Blue Iris. You may also want to stick an SD card in each camera as a backup in case your recorder breaks or is stolen.

Artie812

n3wb
Reaction score
As long as you pick one standard and stick to it, you can use either but 568B is the more commonly used one in the US.

You'll also want some way to record the cameras, either an NVR or a PC with Blue Iris. You may also want to stick an SD card in each camera as a backup in case your recorder breaks or is stolen.
Thanks for the reply Mr D.
Now that I sit and think about it, I guess the wires don't care which way they are arranged in the connector as long as they are the same on both ends.
And ,yes, a NVR is on my list. Just a matter of which one...of many.
I also think I'll need the cable company to come over and install a cable connection into the garage for a router.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you're running POE to the cam via CAT-6, insure that the cable is solid copper, not CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum).
Insure any cable exposed to the elements (sunlight/UV, rain, smog, etc.) is outdoor-rated, even if in conduit.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now that I sit and think about it, I guess the wires don't care which way they are arranged in the connector as long as they are the same on both ends.
Not so!

Use the T-568B standard on BOTH ends. The layout DOES matter, it's designed to help prevent crosstalk and interference, which optimizes speed.

Artie812

n3wb
Reaction score
Not so!

Use the T-568B standard on BOTH ends. The layout DOES matter, it's designed to help prevent crosstalk and interference, which optimizes speed.
I said "as long as they are the same on both sides". So yeah.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You said in post #3 "Now that I sit and think about it, I guess the wires don't care which way they are arranged in the connector as long as they are the same on both ends."

That's not the same as what you just said above "..as long as they are the same on both sides". So yeah.

Last edited:

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Following the same standard on each end, either 568A or 568B, is not the same as simply putting the wires in the same order of your choosing on each end. The standards put specific wires in specific position for a good reason.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to reinforce TonyR and Md_D comments - they are absolutely correct.
'The same on each end' doesn't cut it when the twisted pairs are not maintained.
These are fundamental to the ability to transmit signals such that they are usable at the other end.

Artie812

n3wb
Reaction score
I will be going by the 568B standard. I'm too anal to do it any other way. I understand the importance of a 'standard'. Thank you all for your input.

Last edited: