Occassional spike in CPU causing PC to crash- time for an upgrade?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've gone through all the optimization. Generally, my CPU is anywhere between 20-35% usage.

I run CP AI in a docker container and see that my VMmem spikes up which competes for resources with BI and anytime it hits 95% and above my system hangs up and requires a hard reboot. I have a GTX1650 GPU for CodeProject AI. I have 12 Cameras and 2 clones only 5 of the 12 cameras are setup to use AI.

My CPU is an i7 6700 but I feel like it's time for a system upgrade, perhaps something like an i7 11700 and a better GPU. Is this going to solve my problem?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure you are running substreams?

Folks are running more cameras than you on a 4th gen at lower CPU than you are.

Post a screenshot of your BI Camera status page that shows things like FPS, KEY, No signal, and at the bottom shows MP/s.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A little progress...

I went through the optimization line by line again for each camera. Turned on HW accellaration and saved about 10-15% CPU

However, one interesting thing I noticed, I know I checked "limit decoding unless required" for all cameras and they are all unchecked now. I checked it again and saved it and went back in the camera and it's unchecked itself again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do those cameras not have substream?

But even so, 247MP/s isn't a large strain and your GPU is doing AI, so I think you have something else going on - either CodeProject isn't using the GPU or you have BI or its files/videos going thru anti-virus or you have defrag on or something.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I spent a little bit of time trying to find substreams for all of the cameras. I think I got them all but the one intercom. I'm averaging 20% CPU usage at the moment

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So a little more update... I discovered that Windows Defender was eating up 30-40% and jumping up to 60% of my CPU (sometime) and this is when my PC crash. Went into local group policy and limited it to 3 or 5% can't remeber the exact # and also went through all my services that would start automatically and disabled anything that I didn't need since this is a dedicated PC for BI all those other services didn't matter.

Since then I also added another 6Mp panoramic camera to the mix so I should be burning more resource and now, at idle I'm well below 10%.

1689721281532.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to exclude BI and associated folders from Defender

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A little progress...

I went through the optimization line by line again for each camera. Turned on HW accellaration and saved about 10-15% CPU

However, one interesting thing I noticed, I know I checked "limit decoding unless required" for all cameras and they are all unchecked now. I checked it again and saved it and went back in the camera and it's unchecked itself again.
Dont use limit decoding...its should be avoided.
Have you tried running CPAI on windows?
You may need more power but I would start with that first. Also see the CPAI v2 thread where folks are using Coral and soon Mikeluds release for Orange PI with CPAI.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dont use limit decoding...its should be avoided.
Have you tried running CPAI on windows?
You may need more power but I would start with that first. Also see the CPAI v2 thread where folks are using Coral and soon Mikeluds release for Orange PI with CPAI.
I used to run cpai in windows but since the last update it no longer works so i tried docker and it just works.