Odd IVS false alerts

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm getting odd false IVS alerts and can't figure out why. This happens with a new T5442T-ZE that I put up and previously with a T5842T-ZE in the same location. So seems to be something about the scene and/or how I'm doing things but don't know what that might be.

More specifically what's happening is that at random times (day, night, in between) I get a series of 3 IVS alerts. Sometimes just 1 or 2 but most often it's a cluster of 3 about a minute apart. Happens probably 3 or 4 times every day. There's never anything that I've seen that should be triggering (with one exception shown below which did not actually trigger an alert).

This is the scene:

5442-IVS.png

Kind of overkilled with tripwires/intrusion while trying to test to see what was triggering but the same happens with a much more simple set of rules. I've left the live view up on a second monitor to try to watch what's happening when I get the alerts. In this particular case, it appeared to want to trigger on the light post BUT it did not flash and did not actually generate an alert. I suppose not enough confidence or not moving or whatever. But this was the only time that I've ever seen anything turn red so I captured it. Other than this one time, when I get the alerts I see nothing ever turn red.

This is the only location where I have any false alerts like this with Dahua IVS. The positive side works great. Always triggers for a human. I can see whatever lines turn red and flash and alerts go through fine. I can have IVS alternately set to no target, human, vehicle, combination and the same happens.

I've confirmed that's the only motion detection that should be turned on in the cam. I'm not running Deep Stack. BI's motion detection is off and the triggers come as externals. Not running anything else to trigger. I can have the shadows from the tree moving like crazy and no alerts. A completely quiet, static scene and alerts.

Any ideas?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See if the camera log shows any restarts.

I had a POE port going out that I found out about from your exact situation - the IVS would trigger BI for no visual reason at all and it turns out that when the camera first starts up it sends a command that BI interprets as external trigger.

Replaced POE and has been rock solid since.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. Good possibility but I see nothing in the cam or BI logs. Just logins/outs, config changes, etc. Normal stuff. BI log just shows as an EXTERNAL. Don't see the camera dropping off or anything like that. I see 0 no signals.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have SMD enabled. The red box around that evergreen shrub shouldn't be there. Maybe change the trip wires so they don't include it. If it sways in the breeze you could get a trip from it.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've confirmed that SMD is off. I'll have to play with the tripwires more. I've had various and much more simple rules but they likely have included that post given where it is. Also need to simplify and try just an intrusion box, several single-line tripwires, etc.

5442-IVS2.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, that didn't take long....

I was going to post that I'd disabled the tripwires and redrawn the intrusion box to exclude the post and I'll wait to see what happens. Within a minute or so of changing I had a series of 3 of the same false alerts. As above, since I just finished changing things and flipped over to live view I was watching and saw nothing turn red.

5442-IVS4.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
No, don't have an SD card in it. Have to find one to stick in there.

What do you mean by other configurations in BI?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... I tried just a single tripwire, no intrusion box, excluding the post, and still got a few of the same alerts. It's dead still and hot as hell here today. Not a bit of breeze to move anything.

5442-IVS5.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, as above in post #6. Intrusion box alone, I get the same. Tripwire alone, I get the same. Maybe a few more with the tripwire but that's probably just because I didn't leave the intrusion box up as long.

One thing to note is that is does seem to be doing it more than usual as I'm playing around and changing things. Doesn't do it the second that I save or change or anything like that. But after changing things it's now happening more frequently than normal.

I should note too, no cars driving by, people walking, shadows, or anything else that I've seen since I've been watching.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Meaning did you use the find/inspect in BI or did you use a pull down for Dahua?

Try deleting the camera from BI and re-add.

I remember now another incident I had where at the bottom of the BI camera settings page is ONVIF and it was like 6 zeros or so. When I deleted and re-added it came back with a 1 on the end and has worked since.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I was lazy and copied that cam over from another that's already set up to do things as I want.

It does currently show the 00000 as you mention. But all of my other 5442s that are working fine do as well.

I'll try deleting and setting it up again from scratch.

Screenshot 2022-07-24 173949.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully the carry over of a copy carried something over and re-adding fixes it!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, hopefully so. I'll do that shortly.

Thinking more I remembered that I also copied from the same cam for the 5842 that I had there previously which as I said above was doing the same. BUT, that same 5842 is now looking at the same area from another angle and it's NOT doing it since I moved it.

Whatever it is I seem to have made it 10X worse now as I've been playing with things here.

Strange one...

Edit to add: As another data point, to shut the thing up I disabled all of the IVS rules and it's still triggering. Before killing the cam off, I'm now going to delete the IVS rules and see what that does. Just in the name of science. ; )

Edit: Yep, IVS rules deleted. STILL does it. :facepalm: lol

Off to kill it now...

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
~sigh~

Killed it... Set up again from scratch... STILL DOES IT.

WTF?

So if killing it in BI didn't change anything, that suggests to me that it's coming from the cam. Going to do a hard reset on the cam and start fresh there.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Next step is to default the camera, three times in a row. Then set it back up normally and run a "find/inspect" again in BI. It is possible there's a corruption/glitch in the running firmware that a default will cure.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is what it sounds like to me.

For kicks and grins do you have POE injector or another power source you can temp try? Maybe the camera isn't completely restarting but needs a bit more juice and stalls and sends a trigger?

After that then I would say send an email to BI and let them log into your system and see if they see something behind the scenes causing it.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If the reset doesn't work I'll check the power side. I think I can monitor that from my switch as a first step. It's not too hard to get to and pull down if I need to from there.

Thinking more about doing the reset (though I still will) the 5842 that I had there before did the same thing. Which probably doesn't suggest good odds for a reset fixing it.

F' it... I'm going fishing for a while. Tired of screwing with it. I'll post back with whatever I find from here.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. First thing that I checked.

5442-IVS6.png

BI motion settings too just to be sure. Though it's always an external trigger that I'm seeing so shouldn't be that.

Screenshot 2022-07-24 212919.png

Back now and going to just do everything over from scratch. Get a clean start all around.

Last edited: