Oh My Gosh I'm So Lost! I've Tried To Figure This Out Without Asking But...

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But here I am. I am so sorry and if one can lead me where to read instead of answering it's fine by me. I hate when someone new joins a forum and asks the questions that they could've researched and found the novice answers to but I'm so lost.

I am trying to buy a camera system as I have had my truck stolen (and subsequent armed robbery of a McD's with it), my utility trailer stolen never to be seen again (I did get my truck back with damage), my 20 foot extension ladder, my new generator, my deceased father's saw and tig or mig(?) welder to name a few in the last year.

I'm a live alone older female who understands a bit of networking but will have to have my cameras installed (using their ladder).

I think I need 6 cameras to cover my property. I have basic slow cable internet so don't believe all ip cameras are the way to go?

I have read and understand the different types of cameras, I think, and I believe 1080 HD cameras with 1 or 2 ip cams might be the way to go, so a hybrid NVR? I need some decent night vision. I actually own a basic Lorex 2 camera system aimed at front door with SD card and intercom.

I've read about Hikvision and Eyesurv (Nellys). Money is a definite issue so the sky's not the limit though I wish it were. I have since had my garage doors armed through my monitored security system but I need more. I need to monitor my neighbors kid, who is about 18, and walks around with a gun on his hip and dry fires it constantly. He's not right in the head I don't think and every time I call the cops they do nothing.

Anyway I apologize in advance for not knowing more but I'm willing to learn.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The speed of your internet connection is irrelevant to your choice of cameras. All data is transmitted internally except when remote viewing. The same is true with analog.
Go with an ip system.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The speed of your internet connection is irrelevant to your choice of cameras. All data is transmitted internally except when remote viewing. The same is true with analog.
Go with an ip system.
Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Kid with a gun not right in head shooting it off constantly you don't need cameras you need to move !
I wish it were as easy as that. Own my home outright, they are renters.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there, Yollie. Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place, as there's lots of folks here who do cctv installation on a regular basis and are a wealth of information (I'm still learning myself).

Couple thoughts I'd like to throw on the radar:

You mention IP cameras and also referenced analog cameras. In this day and age, I would just go with an IP camera system. The benefits are endless. With IP based systems you can pass higher resolution feeds over ethernet than you can with analog. Likewise, you can (and should) make sure you go the route of a POE system. POE is power over ethernet, which utilizes unused copper lines inside an ethernet line to transmit power, thereby giving you power + data over one singular line. This eliminates the need to run electrical lines to each camera. This of course assumes your cameras + NVR and/or network switch are all POE enabled. It may cost a few extra bucks to start, but holy-wow-is-it-ever-worth-it-batman.

You know your property better than we do, however something I'd advise is that you take a good look at each angle of your house. Look at the way it's arranged and what the camera would be seeing. Different cameras have different size lenses, as notated by something like "3.6mm" or "2.8mm", etc. The smaller that number, the "more" you can see. The catch is, by grabbing that broader view, it makes objects look a bit smaller, and as such, may require suspects be closer to the camera for identification.

You'll also have to put some thought into a manufacturer to go with. Hikvision and Dahua are highly used by folks on these forums. Nelly's Security offers a brand called EyeSurv (rebranded Dahua), which is something I've grown to really like in my setup (plus their support has been highly appreciated). You also need to think about how to record things. If you'd like to go the simpler route, a dedicated NVR would be the way to go. If you like something with more features, a dedicated server/powerful desktop computer running NVR software would be a solid option.

Then there's storage space - how long you want to retain feeds before old ones get over-written? Do you want motion based or full time recordings? On my system with six 3mp cameras, I'm getting about 3 weeks of footage on a 2TB drive. I'm recording 24/7, as I've been burned by distant objects not being "heavy" enough to trigger motion detect, so now I just record all the time. Just personal preference, but it's a question you may want to ask yourself.

You also mentioned slow internet speeds. That will only come into play if you'd like to do remote viewing from outside of your network. Your speed internally will be substantially faster, so that by nature should be a non-issue.

Given the consistent theft in your area, I'd also put some thought into how you can hide and/or secure (preferably both) your recording device. It's not going to do much good if you go through all of this trouble to set up cameras only to come home and find your home torn apart with the recorder and all of its valuable information missing.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there, Yollie. Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place, as there's lots of folks here who do cctv installation on a regular basis and are a wealth of information (I'm still learning myself).

Couple thoughts I'd like to throw on the radar:

You mention IP cameras and also referenced analog cameras. In this day and age, I would just go with an IP camera system. The benefits are endless. With IP based systems you can pass higher resolution feeds over ethernet than you can with analog. Likewise, you can (and should) make sure you go the route of a POE system. POE is power over ethernet, which utilizes unused copper lines inside an ethernet line to transmit power, thereby giving you power + data over one singular line. This eliminates the need to run electrical lines to each camera. This of course assumes your cameras + NVR and/or network switch are all POE enabled. It may cost a few extra bucks to start, but holy-wow-is-it-ever-worth-it-batman.

Ok IP cameras it is!

You know your property better than we do, however something I'd advise is that you take a good look at each angle of your house. Look at the way it's arranged and what the camera would be seeing. Different cameras have different size lenses, as notated by something like "3.6mm" or "2.8mm", etc. The smaller that number, the "more" you can see. The catch is, by grabbing that broader view, it makes objects look a bit smaller, and as such, may require suspects be closer to the camera for identification.

I'm going to research this and see/think about what my needs will be.

You'll also have to put some thought into a manufacturer to go with. Hikvision and Dahua are highly used by folks on these forums. Nelly's Security offers a brand called EyeSurv (rebranded Dahua), which is something I've grown to really like in my setup (plus their support has been highly appreciated). You also need to think about how to record things. If you'd like to go the simpler route, a dedicated NVR would be the way to go. If you like something with more features, a dedicated server/powerful desktop computer running NVR software would be a solid option.

The only features I want are recording and being able to view cams on my cell phone.

Then there's storage space - how long you want to retain feeds before old ones get over-written? Do you want motion based or full time recordings? On my system with six 3mp cameras, I'm getting about 3 weeks of footage on a 2TB drive. I'm recording 24/7, as I've been burned by distant objects not being "heavy" enough to trigger motion detect, so now I just record all the time. Just personal preference, but it's a question you may want to ask yourself.

I think 2tb would be fine for me. I do have a monitored alarm system.

You also mentioned slow internet speeds. That will only come into play if you'd like to do remote viewing from outside of your network. Your speed internally will be substantially faster, so that by nature should be a non-issue.

Given the consistent theft in your area, I'd also put some thought into how you can hide and/or secure (preferably both) your recording device. It's not going to do much good if you go through all of this trouble to set up cameras only to come home and find your home torn apart with the recorder and all of its valuable information missing.
I was thinking about that and will come up with as safe a place as possible. I thinking about the closet in my sewing room. THANK YOU! Very informative and helpful!