OK I crashed my hard drive

nelson maldonado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I crashed my hard drive can't boot it up, I just ordered a purple drive once it comes in and i install windows
I am going to try to access the hard drive. Do I need to get the activation code to run blue Iris or delete the file that's on this computer I don't want to spend another $50 On the software again I am able to get into the c:\ and see the directories they are still there anything else I need to know what change thanks like guys you been a great help so far

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I crashed my hard drive can't boot it up, I just ordered a purple drive once it comes in and i install windows
I am going to try to access the hard drive. Do I need to get the activation code to run blue Iris or delete the file that's on this computer I don't want to spend another $50 On the software again I am able to get into the c:\ and see the directories they are still there anything else I need to know what change thanks like guys you been a great help so far
Use a quality ssd for windows, blue iris and the database file. Store video on the purple. You should have the license key in your email.

nelson maldonado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great will do I thought somehow I had to uninstall the license key somehow in order to reuse it
Use a quality ssd for windows, blue iris and the database file. Store video on the purple. You should have the license key in your email.
I just looked on eBay for an SSD there are 35,000 ssds on there for sale all different now I got to do some research and see what I have to use lol

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great will do I thought somehow I had to uninstall the license key somehow in order to reuse it

I just looked on eBay for an SSD there are 35,000 ssds on there for sale all different now I got to do some research and see what I have to use lol
Ebay is great for a lot of stuff...but for this I suggest spend a few bucks more from a new one from a reputable retailer.

I had SSD already so I used it. But, had I not had one a plain old HDD would've been just fine. Not like you're constantly accessing files where a bunch of small time improvements add up to a time savings of great importance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ebay is great for a lot of stuff...but for this I suggest spend a few bucks more from a new one from a reputable retailer.

I had SSD already so I used it. But, had I not had one a plain old HDD would've been just fine. Not like you're constantly accessing files where a bunch of small time improvements add up to a time savings of great importance.
SSD's make blue iris much more snappy when using and reviewing video. Realize that the purple drive is 5400rpm. The difference is night and day. Its well worth the 50 bux.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just my opinion, from not actually needing to review any material quantity of video.

If it gets to that point for me where SSD would be a must have for BI I'll be thinking more of moving than of SSD/HDD.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, from not actually needing to review any material quantity of video.

If it gets to that point for me where SSD would be a must have for BI I'll be thinking more of moving than of SSD/HDD.
Its a much have for any computer. HDD's are slow. Cheap ssd's can be had for 20 bux, but i recommend spending more on a quality drive.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh, all my PCs have SSD for the OS drive. Mostly Samsung but I do have one of the Crucials and a small Kingston for a pfSense box. But, on those computers, other than pfSense, I shut down and restart, boot time of course is faster, and opening programs is snappier. BI PC just sorta sits there 24/7 doing its thing as a service. I think I've rebooted BI PC maybe twice in some months now. To me it's just not that strong of a case for SSD in and of itself but to your point for $50 can one even buy a HDD these days?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
SSD's make blue iris much more snappy when using and reviewing video. Realize that the purple drive is 5400rpm. The difference is night and day. Its well worth the 50 bux.
@fenderman Does it make a difference reviewing video when the new folder is on a HDD? I thought the recommended way is to have the DB and Alerts on SSD, but the cameras writing directly to the HDD.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman Does it make a difference reviewing video when the new folder is on a HDD? I thought the recommended way is to have the DB and Alerts on SSD, but the cameras writing directly to the HDD.
The video should be on the hdd