Olafus 150W LED Floodlights IP66

Reaction score

I ordered two of these and they arrived today. What a beast! It has a hefty heat sink and what looks like good construction over all. 15,000 lumins @ 150W.

Anyone have these in service?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I put one of these in the parking lot at the office. Holy crap its like day out there - and its mounted high. One of my neighbors loves it, the other complained so I had to angle it away from his property.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I put one of these in the parking lot at the office. Holy crap its like day out there - and its mounted high. One of my neighbors loves it, the other complained so I had to angle it away from his property.

You can get shades. My local authority has some on it's street lights after residents complained the new led ones were too bright.

I ordered two of these and they arrived today. What a beast! It has a hefty heat sink and what looks like good construction over all. 15,000 lumins @ 150W.

Anyone have these in service?
You can have too much light. Last year one of my neighbours had a burglary. She had a traditional 500W floodlight up. Due to it being mounted too low and being too bright, by not pointing down, the burglary went un-reported because when I looked out after hearing some noise (was actually the burglars smashing the window although it didn't sound like breaking glass), I was unable to see what was happening due to being dazzled by the light coming off the floodlight angled towards me. Result was I presumed it was her noisy son and his mates back from Uni as they often hung out in the garden at night. Burglars took their time and ransacked the house unchallenged.

The moral of story is you can have too much, the more you have the more important it is to mount it high and have it facing vertically down. Any angle away from the vertical could dazzle and prevent observers seeing the crime in progress.

As for light output, it will depend on the area you're covering but from a purely draw attention, not CCTV POV, I have a 15W and 20W led on my house (covering different areas). They are not ultra bright on the garden so whether it would produce a good picture in forced colour for CCTV, I don't know. However, if I had to step it up I'd look to trying maybe 50W initially.

Also, I don't see the point in having such huge lights permanently on. It's un-green and unfriendly to your neighbours plus do you wish to live in a non league football stadium? Easiest way to ease the shock of the light level switch on CCTV, apart from choosing a camera that adopts quickly is to have a background light permanently on controlled by a dusk to dawn sensor. That is what I have in my yard a decorative light with a 6W led bulb. That provides a low level of light that's just enough to illuminate the area and deter thieves. If anyone intrudes, then the other floodlights detect via PIR and come on to reinforce the main light. Again this is untried with a camera, but it's likely to be much more camera friendly as the camera isn't having to adapt from pitch dark to light, but simply from light to bright. Nearest analogy might be a dashcam coming out of a lit tunnel from light to daylight.