OLD HARD DRIVE

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an old hard drive that has a version of windows 10 installed, but not sure which one. I would like to install it in my new computer, windows 10 home. It would be drive E, I assume, as the SSD is C and the one other drive is D. On the old hard are programs, photos, etc. would the programs still work and photos be available? Or should I not try and do this. Thanks

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While you MAY be able to access data files (pictures, documents, etc.), most (modern) programs would not work as those programs store their configurations and settings in the Windows Registry which is located on the new system drive, not on the old E drive.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an old hard drive that has a version of windows 10 installed, but not sure which one. I would like to install it in my new computer, windows 10 home. It would be drive E, I assume, as the SSD is C and the one other drive is D. On the old hard are programs, photos, etc. would the programs still work and photos be available? Or should I not try and do this. Thanks
Your photos and videos should be accessible, any installed software most likely will not run. To be clear, you are not going to try to run this as the primary drive OS..correct that will not work. You would have to do a clean install.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
dont make the mistake of using your blue iris pc as your home facebook pc. You will have issues guaranteed, then will blame it on BI.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
MR fenderman I know your on a tear now :) but I love my BI and would never complain about it. I had my ups and downs with BI and it’s always been user error if I had a problem. I purchased a second computer to play with or torture. BI has its own happy home. Happy New New

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
MR fenderman I know your on a tear now :) but I love my BI and would never complain about it. I had my ups and downs with BI and it’s always been user error if I had a problem. I purchased a second computer to play with or torture. BI has its own happy home. Happy New New
if blue iris had its own pc, your question would be irrelevant.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mr Fenderman my question was and is not irrelevant. You made an assumption I was installing it on my BI machine; never said that. The Facebook comment is irrelevent. I never mention anything about Facebook. My question was straight forward and many thanks for the others that answered my question without condescending remarks.