Old PC setup vs NVR?

dinhbros

n3wb
Reaction score
My apologies for newbie questions.

I am thinking of installing a few IP cameras at my parents home. Could you someone tell me which option I should go with? Desktop PC or NVR?

I plan to get about 12 to 14 of the DS-2CD2332 cameras.

I want a reliable system with low maintenance and an affordable solution.

If PC is the way to go, would my 5 years old PC be able to handle up to 14 - 3MP cameras? Running Blue Iris with a PoE switch?

My PC spec is as follow:
intel i5 760 - 2.8Ghz Quad Core
MSI P55A-G55 M/B
4GB of DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 OS
1TB harddrive (I can upgrade this)
CX 430 PSU (430Watts)
HD 5450 512MB graphic

If NVR is the way to go, could you recommend an NVR? Also, should I get NVR WITHOUT PoE ports and buy an external TP-Link PoE switch?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My apologies for newbie questions.

I am thinking of installing a few IP cameras at my parents home. Could you someone tell me which option I should go with? Desktop PC or NVR?

I plan to get about 12 to 14 of the DS-2CD2332 cameras.

I want a reliable system with low maintenance and an affordable solution.

If PC is the way to go, would my 5 years old PC be able to handle up to 14 - 3MP cameras? Running Blue Iris with a PoE switch?

My PC spec is as follow:
intel i5 760 - 2.8Ghz Quad Core
MSI P55A-G55 M/B
4GB of DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 OS
1TB harddrive (I can upgrade this)
CX 430 PSU (430Watts)
HD 5450 512MB graphic

If NVR is the way to go, could you recommend an NVR? Also, should I get NVR WITHOUT PoE ports and buy an external TP-Link PoE switch?

Thanks
Welcome to the forum, there is no way that pc will handle 14 3mp camera on blue iris, even running direct to disk...You will be able to use it with hikvisions ivms..
Also considering that the pc is a first generation i5 and has a discrete video card its not power efficient...
Blue iris is fantastic, but you will need a fourth generation haswell i7...(about 500 or so at the dell business outlet for an optiplex when on sale)...
If you want low maintenance go with a hikvision NVR, but dont expect the flexibility or options that a software package like blue iris has.
NVR;s with built in poe make more noise and it becomes a hassle to get a direct connection to the camera interface...go with no poe and use a poe switch.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did something similar for my parents, but I bought a new computer for them. Only running an i3-4160 with 12mp (4 x 3mp hikvisions) of cameras and direct to disk on blueiris and the processor sits at roughly 30%. the 4160 outperforms your 760 by roughly 25%, as such, allowing for some overhead, I wouldnt run any more than 6 x 3mp cameras on you system. Maybe 7.

dinhbros

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, there is no way that pc will handle 14 3mp camera on blue iris, even running direct to disk...You will be able to use it with hikvisions ivms..
Also considering that the pc is a first generation i5 and has a discrete video card its not power efficient...
Blue iris is fantastic, but you will need a fourth generation haswell i7...(about 500 or so at the dell business outlet for an optiplex when on sale)...
If you want low maintenance go with a hikvision NVR, but dont expect the flexibility or options that a software package like blue iris has.
NVR;s with built in poe make more noise and it becomes a hassle to get a direct connection to the camera interface...go with no poe and use a poe switch.
Thanks fenderman for setting me straight.

Which NVR without PoE would you recommend? Is DS-7816N-E2 a good choice for me?

As for switch, should I get the TP-Link TL-SG3424P (24 PoE ports - $500) OR 2 of the TP-Link TL-SG1008PE (8 PoE ports - $200/each) OR 4 of the TP-Link TL-SG1008P (4 PoE ports - $100/each). I am on a budget and I won't be buying all 14 cameras at once... Is there an advantage to having fewer switch than to have multiple?

Thanks again.

dinhbros

n3wb
Reaction score
I did something similar for my parents, but I bought a new computer for them. Only running an i3-4160 with 12mp (4 x 3mp hikvisions) of cameras and direct to disk on blueiris and the processor sits at roughly 30%. the 4160 outperforms your 760 by roughly 25%, as such, allowing for some overhead, I wouldnt run any more than 6 x 3mp cameras on you system. Maybe 7.
I wonder if the NVR would be more energy efficient than a PC? Also, if I have to buy a new PC for this setup, I might as well spend $200 on a NVR without PoE port - I think?

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wonder if the NVR would be more energy efficient than a PC? Also, if I have to buy a new PC for this setup, I might as well spend $200 on a NVR without PoE port - I think?
For sure it would be, but you loose flexibility. Read here for more debate: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3379-Computer-versus-NVR

Why not get a NVR with PoE already in it? If you go that route it's less devices, psu, and cables. not sure if you can get them with that many ports though...,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman for setting me straight.

Which NVR without PoE would you recommend? Is DS-7816N-E2 a good choice for me?

As for switch, should I get the TP-Link TL-SG3424P (24 PoE ports - $500) OR 2 of the TP-Link TL-SG1008PE (8 PoE ports - $200/each) OR 4 of the TP-Link TL-SG1008P (4 PoE ports - $100/each). I am on a budget and I won't be buying all 14 cameras at once... Is there an advantage to having fewer switch than to have multiple?

Thanks again.
I cant give you proper advice on the NVR because i havent purchased one in a while so im not intimately familiar with the various models..hopefully someone can chime in..there are bunch of threads on NVR's in the hikvison section..

As far as the switches go, the advantage of multiople switches is that if you are running say 4 cameras to one side of the house, if you have a place to mount the switch, you can then run a single cable back to your router or any other network port...
You dont need a gigabit switch for the cameras so in theory you can just get this for 45
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=twister_B00TV20Y7M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
and add more when you get more cams...
Note that the large switches you lined to have fans and can be just as bad as an NVR...
I am partial to this fanless managed switch
http://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Managed-Desktop-Switch-GS1900-8HP/dp/B00GU1KULM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429835374&sr=1-1&keywords=zyxel+8+port+poe
Make if buying from amazon, make sure you select amazon as the seller..
Note you can only use it for 7 cameras as you need one for uplink...
You will need to setup the switch so its ip address does not conflict with your router and remember to hit save on the top right of the screen or else your changes will not be saved if you reboot..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dinhbros

n3wb
Reaction score
I cant give you proper advice on the NVR because i havent purchased one in a while so im not intimately familiar with the various models..hopefully someone can chime in..there are bunch of threads on NVR's in the hikvison section..

As far as the switches go, the advantage of multiople switches is that if you are running say 4 cameras to one side of the house, if you have a place to mount the switch, you can then run a single cable back to your router or any other network port...
You dont need a gigabit switch for the cameras so in theory you can just get this for 45
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=twister_B00TV20Y7M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
and add more when you get more cams...
Note that the large switches you lined to have fans and can be just as bad as an NVR...
I am partial to this fanless managed switch
http://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Managed-Desktop-Switch-GS1900-8HP/dp/B00GU1KULM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429835374&sr=1-1&keywords=zyxel+8+port+poe
Make if buying from amazon, make sure you select amazon as the seller..
Note you can only use it for 7 cameras as you need one for uplink...
You will need to setup the switch so its ip address does not conflict with your router and remember to hit save on the top right of the screen or else your changes will not be saved if you reboot..
Thanks for all of your expert advises. If I am to get the TP-LINK TL-SF1008P (4 PoE and 4 regular), can I all of the 4 PoE for the cameras and one of the standard port for the uplink?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your expert advises. If I am to get the TP-LINK TL-SF1008P (4 PoE and 4 regular), can I all of the 4 PoE for the cameras and one of the standard port for the uplink?
yes you can...

S474N

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want 14 cams, I will buy NVR without POE and GLAN switch with POE 802.3af. I have home 9 cams with NVR (with POE, but NVR has own LAN and you cannot use cam directly to IP) and POE switch and no problem!

dinhbros

n3wb
Reaction score

ak357

n3wb
Reaction score
Just finished installing Avigilon server running 18 HIK -3 Mp cameras on I5
CPU about 25-30 %
Customer love it

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry my mistake
it was I3-4160
Even better...those are GREAT numbers for 18x3mp ...
Though your haswell i3 is about 20 percent faster than op's first generation i5....
Power consumption wise its not a good idea to run first generation i processors 24/7...the haswell's are much more efficient..

ak357

n3wb
Reaction score
Even better...those are GREAT numbers for 18x3mp ...
Though your haswell i3 is about 20 percent faster than op's first generation i5....
Power consumption wise its not a good idea to run first generation i processors 24/7...the haswell's are much more efficient..
I use Avigilon about 5 years ago without any problem :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I use Avigilon about 5 years ago without any problem :)
It will certainly run on the older system, its just that its cheaper to buy a new system then to run the older ones...if your rates are like mine 20+ cents a kwh..

ak357

n3wb
Reaction score
Well if customer buying Avigilon
then price per kwh is irrelevant :)
Actually I personally think that Avigilon is not that expensive for what u get

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well if customer buying Avigilon
then price per kwh is irrelevant :)
Actually I personally think that Avigilon is not that expensive for what u get