on board video good or bad

Reaction score
Hello

I have a few BI installs the number one problem I have seen is high CPU usage. I have set direct to disc which only helps slightly. Will a dedicated video card help?

I am using mostly foscam which I hear are not great 1megapixel h.264 cams

I typicall run I5 processors with 16gb ram.

One large install is 23 cams 20 foscams and 3 hikvision. Runs 80-95 percent CPU.

What can I do?

Thanks for suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello

I have a few BI installs the number one problem I have seen is high CPU usage. I have set direct to disc which only helps slightly. Will a dedicated video card help?

I am using mostly foscam which I hear are not great 1megapixel h.264 cams

I typicall run I5 processors with 16gb ram.

One large install is 23 cams 20 foscams and 3 hikvision. Runs 80-95 percent CPU.

What can I do?

Thanks for suggestions.
Welcome to the forum..
Direct to disk should have a significant impact on cpu usage - make sure you have set it for each camera. You should also be using bvr format, its the most efficient. You can also limit the live preview rate in blue iris options>cameras
What model i5 are you using? there is a huge variation between models..
What frame rates are you recording at?
Generally a video card will offer no benefit over intel integrated graphics..it will simply add heat, costs of electricity and another point of failure..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like frame rates are probably too high. If these systems are within the last 3 generations of i5 then it should be capable of ~20 megapixels, just at lower frame rates like 10 FPS or lower probably.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like frame rates are probably too high. If these systems are within the last 3 generations of i5 then it should be capable of ~20 megapixels, just at lower frame rates like 10 FPS or lower probably.
Hes got 23mp (1mp foscams)+ the hiks that can be set at 3mp..so possibly 32...that is way to high for an i5...unless some of the foscams are vga...