On the market for an intel CPU

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj I've been thinking a lot about the recommendation you provided about segregating the cameras using a 2nd NIC - so I should be able to do this even though my cameras are wireless?
Am I going to need a 2nd wireless router as well?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Netflix, YouTube and all the streaming services "buffer" on their own. You can see it on YouTube, for example, when the playback line is heavier past the current point of the video.

Yes, you will need a second WiFi device to take advantage of a second NIC. The objective is to get the cameras off the Asus router. To do that will take a second WiFi router running without a WAN connection.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Netflix, YouTube and all the streaming services "buffer" on their own. You can see it on YouTube, for example, when the playback line is heavier past the current point of the video.

Yes, you will need a second WiFi device to take advantage of a second NIC. The objective is to get the cameras off the Asus router. To do that will take a second WiFi router running without a WAN connection.
great.. thank you!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most wireless cameras are 2.4 GHZ, You can get an old router on ebay for $25 to use as an access point for your cameras. In the past I used an Asus rt-n12.

You connect the 2nd nic to a switch, then connect the access point to the switch. Set the Access point IP address and all the camera IP address to static on the second network.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most wireless cameras are 2.4 GHZ, You can get an old router on ebay for $25 to use as an access point for your cameras. In the past I used an Asus rt-n12.

You connect the 2nd nic to a switch, then connect the access point to the switch. Set the Access point IP address and all the camera IP address to static on the second network.
Yeah…I just have to figure out where to position the BL machine because at this point I am currently using 2 routers because one of the cameras is on the other far end of the house and the signal is weak…so I am using a 2nd AP to reach it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm off topic here, but since we are talking about cpus, I have two questions and I did not want to start a new thread.
What you guys think about an intel i5-6500T (35W) cpu vs a regular one?
Second question is, if I would replace the cpu with another one, it would upset BI licence?

Reaction score
I'm off topic here, but since we are talking about cpus, I have two questions and I did not want to start a new thread.
What you guys think about an intel i5-6500T (35W) cpu vs a regular one?
Second question is, if I would replace the cpu with another one, it would upset BI licence?
If that 'T' variant is a mobile chip, I'd avoid it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
you would not upset a BI license. Unless....What some people call a CPU is a Processor. Other people have called the whole PC a CPU. What are you referring to?

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I switched computers from amd to intel reinstalled BL to a new hard rive….used my lic key and the program automatically unregistered my old pc and registered the new one…it was flawless and I didn’t have to contact bl for them to do anything.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
secondly. A T processor is installed in a thermally limited, and power limited environment. Like a Laptop. or a Micro PC.
I ran into thermal issues when I removed a Core i3, and tossed in a Core i7 into a small Dell Optiplex, and ran BI with 14- cameras.
CPU was approaching 85C ( 176F) running the camera's. So I had to try a heat sink swap. I look around on ebay and found a that a Dell Precision tower CPU cooler
had a slightly taller cooler( more mass) and so I tried that. It just fit in the case. ( barely) then my max CPU temps were dropped to 70-72 C.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I'm talking about a proper processor for desktops. I'm just thinking, since the new BI version is using so much less cpu processes, a T version wouldn't work? Uses way less power.
I'm pretty sure, that a 6700(k) is using quite some power, running 24/7.
I have a low profile fan on it, though and my server is using one side of the entertainment cabinet(if you open one of the doors, the pc is in there, on the shelf without a case.
Power supply and ups are on the "first floor. At both "floors", I have installed a fan, one pushing the air in, and the other for exhaust.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
All you can do is try it. How many cams you running? if not many cams, it will probably work. Give us a full report for the wisdom of the community. :)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Zikes Scooby! Can you save energy another way?
Hmmm do you run Substreams?
And low frame rates?
no Deepstack?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have tried Deepstack, but for some reason it did not work better, then without it, and I have just disabled it.
I use substreams, and most of my cameras are on 10 frames, but the driveway, LPR and the PTZ are on 20-30.
It is all good, computer runs around 15-25% cpu usage, but still I would feel better, if it wouldn't be a power hungry computer.
Since the cpu usage is so low, why would I need a powerful cpu? I'm not planning(we all know how that will end up) to add more cameras (12 outside and 1 in the garage).

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sure you can make it run, but if things get herky jerky, you'll have to do some optimization. keep an eye on current cpu speed and temps, and compare it to the T variant after it runs.

netbeing

n3wb
Reaction score
Remember, the dual NIC means that they cameras will need to connect to the PC by wired ethernet, not WiFi, and will require a switch. You coould also keep them WiFi using a second router, cheapie, that supports only the cameras. The ideal situation is wired to a switch then to the second NIC in the PC.
A question about set up the 2nd NIC:
So I will have a few cams wired CAT6 to a POE+ switch, And the switch will uplink to the 2nd NIC in the BI5 PC. How to set up the 2nd network (without a router)? And how to access the substream remotely from phones?