One 16-cam or Two 8-cam NVR Setup?

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm just starting to get interested in IP because I had an incident where my neighbor's house was broken in and my analog is useless at night. The only thing that I can make out in the video was the intruder is a human. Even though daytime video is very clear, night time was very grainy and blurry. I wanted something with much better night vision.

I currently have 16 cameras, 2x 8-cam Hi-Def analog systems, that I want to replace with IP cameras. With this 2 system setup I have the DVR in 2 separate places in case the thieves want to take off with one DVR thinking they have taken the evidence with them. I have one in plain view and the other hidden.

I have the video output from these 2 DVR split to 4 different TVs in different rooms so that I can look at live view if I hear noises. However, the downside with 2 systems is that I have to switch back and forth to see all the cameras.

I want to replace these with 16 IP cameras hook up to one or two NVRs. If I go with one NVR, can I set it to record on a remote hard drive that I can hide in another room? From what I've read, IP cameras record through the home network so I would think this is possible. Is this the same as RAID? And how complex is this setup? Also, should I stay with the same manufacturer for the cameras as the NVRs?

I'm new to this IP stuff so bare with me if I don't understand or ask too much questions.