One camera's border keeps flashing yellow and it's not detecting motion

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 12 cameras, all set up with motion detection and continuous recording. However, one of the camera's border keeps flashing yellow. I understand it flashes yellow when PTZ is enabled and motion detection is paused. But this camera is a fixed bullet camera and I've already disabled PTZ in the PTZ tab. I have tried to disable/enable the camera unchecking/rechecking motion detection to try to get it to reset, but no matter what I do it's still flashing yellow and thus it's not detecting motion.

Any solution to this or should I email support?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From the BI Help file...

The yellow circle with exclamation point indicates a warning or trouble condition. Usually this means a mismatched frame rate, but open the camera properties page for details.
The yellow caution icon may be displayed on your camera window when there is a mismatch between the camera's frame rate and the maximum frame rate setting on this page. By default, the software will automatically increase the maximum frame rate (FPS) setting in order to properly handle all frames delivered by your cameras. If you need to throttle the number of FPS from a camera, the best way to do that is by using the camera's own web interface to adjust the number of frames that it generates.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should clarify. It's the border that's flashing yellow, not a yellow exclaimation point.

Attachments

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK I physically rebooted my camera and it fixed it. Weird.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should clarify. It's the border that's flashing yellow, not a yellow exclaimation point.
From What's New 4.6.4 - October 23, 2017:
"The camera border will be yellow when the motion detection is paused, such as after a PTZ command or PTZ preset position change."

Gun_neR

n3wb
Reaction score
I was getting real tired of this flashing yellow border as it keeps distracting my peripheral vision.

And of all the generally useless answers that simply parrot the manual, which in of itself can be unclear on the issue: No motion, Fixed camera, Why you still flash every few seconds?? Arggg!!!

Thankfully I found a solution, if not an actual answer that makes sense.

In the Blue Iris Options -> Cameras. One can turn OFF this annoying little issue :)

Capture.PNG

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I gave up on this. The same camera wound be OK in the day time but then the border would turn yellow at night and magically motion detection is turned off.

JPF

n3wb
Reaction score
Same problem here, random on different cameras. PTZ disabled, fixed cameras. Some are wireless, some are wired. Wireless are 1280x720, wired are 1920x1080.
I don't care the border turning yellow per se but, when the border is yellow, it's not only to be pretty, it indicates motion detection doesn't work and I did confirm it's not triggering if motion happens when the border is yellow. In my case, it meant some cameras weren't triggering more than 50% of the time.

I recreated a camera from scratch, same camera but new definition, new IP and all, and the problem didn't come back for that camera so, it's not a camera problem.

I'm running an Intel I7 with 16G of RAM and a Seagate Purple 2TB drive for video files, so, plenty of power. The Win10Pro OS is on a separate drive.

I disabled some cameras and now only have 5 active, to see if the problem would still be there and it made no difference.

I changed to Gaussian and is seems to be OK for now but it shouldn't act that way.

If your answer consist of of telling me to "read the manual", spitting-out the manual's content, telling me to disable the border or stuff like this, please refrain from answering. Sorry to be blunt but, by reading the forum, I noticed some people like to reply only for the pleasure of raising their post count and read themselves back, but don't really read the question asked or take time to articulate a useful reply. Or maybe they simply like to belittle those who don't know as much as they do (or think they do...)?

Thanks all and have a great day?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Same problem here, random on different cameras. PTZ disabled, fixed cameras. Some are wireless, some are wired. Wireless are 1280x720, wired are 1920x1080.
I don't care the border turning yellow per se but, when the border is yellow, it's not only to be pretty, it indicates motion detection doesn't work and I did confirm it's not triggering if motion happens when the border is yellow. In my case, it meant some cameras weren't triggering more than 50% of the time.

I recreated a camera from scratch, same camera but new definition, new IP and all, and the problem didn't come back for that camera so, it's not a camera problem.

I'm running an Intel I7 with 16G of RAM and a Seagate Purple 2TB drive for video files, so, plenty of power. The Win10Pro OS is on a separate drive.

I disabled some cameras and now only have 5 active, to see if the problem would still be there and it made no difference.

I changed to Gaussian and is seems to be OK for now but it shouldn't act that way.

If your answer consist of of telling me to "read the manual", spitting-out the manual's content, telling me to disable the border or stuff like this, please refrain from answering. Sorry to be blunt but, by reading the forum, I noticed some people like to reply only for the pleasure of raising their post count and read themselves back, but don't really read the question asked or take time to articulate a useful reply. Or maybe they simply like to belittle those who don't know as much as they do (or think they do...)?

Thanks all and have a great day?
Sorry to be blunt but it is a camera problem. Reading the forum I see lots of folks who are lazy to read the manual preempt their complaint by stating they don't want to be told to read the manual. When your FIRST post on this forum is passive aggressive, dont expect a response. You will have to email support.

Last edited:

bluecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FWIW. I just had the same problem after adjusting some settings.
Flashing yellow/orange frame and no alerts processing.
I also did gaussian and it got better.
I think though, somehow it is being overwhelmed with alerts and gets in a repeating trigger mode that temporarily disables motion. Because when the activity stops, the flashing also eventually stops. Perhaps switching to the gaussian setting temporarily resets the motion state.

Last edited: