Only 1 of 4 Cameras Capture Fox in Back Yard???

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've 4 cameras in my back yard and only 1 of them caught motion of a fox in my back yard. I'm pretty upset at the moment as I want to know how he got into my fenced in yard since I've dogs which love to be outside in the yard during the summer and now I'm not sure they're safe.

Please help me understand what's wrong with my settings...

1587475094940.png

1587475147564.png

1587475189479.png

The camera directly across from the one which captured the fox has the same settings yet didn't capture motion ... why?
1587475233633.png

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to record continuously. This is the failure of motion detection. You either miss something or get alerts all the time.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to record continuously. This is the failure of motion detection. You either miss something or get alerts all the time.
I agree I would be able to rewind the footage and see exactly how he got in but if the motion detection doesn't work properly I would have no idea I had a fox in my yard to begin with. Thankfully I was able to catch him on one camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I usually set my min object size to the minimum allowed value, and min contrast very low as well, to increase sensitivity.

But I also run a second Blue Iris box as a backup which records continuously, because even with the greatly increased sensitivity, some things get missed. Especially small things like animals. Something ate a bird a couple days ago in clear view of two of my cameras the other day and caused not a single motion trigger.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the 67% reset related to object detection or do I just lower the object size a bit?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The 67% reset is supposed to prevent scene-wide changes from accidentally being detected as objects. It is not likely to cause a camera to miss a fox.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of the cool things about BI is that if you did have footage from the other cameras to play back, you could start the play back, scrub to the time where the fox appeared, then right-click and "Test run video through motion detection". BI will put box and grids on the screen to show you what it's seeing in terms of motion detection. That can make troubleshooting easier.

BI is capable of additionally triggering alerts based on the camera, so you always have the option of supplementing BI motion detection with camera motion detection... on your Dahua cameras, be sure to use IVS, not regular "motion detection". If you haven't played around with this before, it requires some configuration on both the camera and BI, but usually not too hard. On the camera side, I'd recommend using IVS > Intrusion, draw the lines around your fences and back of house, and making sure you have both "Appears" and "Crosses" enabled. BI has made some relatively recent changes to what the options are called that you have to enable on the BI side. If you're interested in this, I'm sure folks here can help.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The fox could jump over that fence without any effort at all.
Your wide angle views makes the object in view smaller, thus harder for motion to notice.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Continuous recording is IMO the answer. I'm using Dahua IVS. I rate it as "pretty darn good", which is somewhat lower than 100%. I often get a motion trip one one camera only, then find what I'm tracking on 2 or 3 more cameras based on the recording time.