Only able to power 4 IP cams on a switch with 90W of power. Tried multiple switches

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TL1096r
I have used the Zyxel GS1900-8HP for years now with no issues and with many different PoE devices. Its a good switch for $100 and Zyxel support has been really good. (Again this all depends on what you needs are for PoE so double check the switch has enough power for your situation)

But for some reason the switch would not power 5 cameras at once continuously. I am familiar with consumption/allocation modes on switches and I can assure you the switch was set to consumption mode. Still not sure why it didn’t work. I’m using a different switch 120W now with no issues. I will not disagree with @fenderman that it is a user error but what that is not exactly sure yet.
very nice. I have a zyxel POE+ unmanaged. I wasn't sure of need for managed until I spoke to member here catcam. Is there any reason why you chose a managed vs unmanaged for this situation?

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
very nice. I have a zyxel POE+ unmanaged. I wasn't sure of need for managed until I spoke to member here catcam. Is there any reason why you chose a managed vs unmanaged for this situation?
This was a extra switch I had laying around that I used as a test switch for my issue. I’ve had multiple switches tested in my scenario with the same issue.

I have a managed switch because I have multiple VLAN on my network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman @EMPIRETECANDY well looks like the issue came back even with a 120W switch. Could it be the camera? It is the exact same camera every time.
unlikely, probably your wiring. did you make the cable yourself? did you use the 568B standard? Is it copper and not copper clad aluminium? how long is the run?

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
unlikely, probably your wiring. did you make the cable yourself? did you use the 568B standard? Is it copper and not copper clad aluminium? how long is the run?
T568B
Copper
Less than 75 feet

Ummmmm

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I looked at your diagram, seems you are using port 16 on the NVR as a uplink to the switch? When this cam drops, are you plugging a laptop into the switch and diagnosing that its dropped that way or are you just looking at it through your NVR and seeing it dropped.

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I’m plugging directly into the switch to diagnose. When I recycle the power on the switch all the cameras worked for a few days until I walked into the office this morning. When the camera that is giving me issues is online i can access it directly via its IP and configure it via the web admin fine. I’m puzzled. Maybe it is my cable but.... my cable mapping tool reads it’s a good cable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I’m plugging directly into the switch to diagnose. When I recycle the power on the switch all the cameras worked for a few days until I walked into the office this morning. When the camera that is giving me issues is online i can access it directly via its IP and configure it via the web admin fine. I’m puzzled. Maybe it is my cable but.... my cable mapping tool reads it’s a good cable.
could be bad crimps or damaged cable, test with short premade cable.

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've tested cables before that read fine with a tester and let my laptop connect back to the main network but wouldn't power a camera. Luckily these was a join in a switch room before the cable went outside to the camera and when I put the poe injector there it worked fine, and the communications along the "damaged" part of the cable have been fine ever since.

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are wasting your time, the switch is easily capable of powering all your cameras and it's not the issue...
Circling back around here on this thread I started a few months back. @fenderman called it. I just wanted to report back. It was my fault with a bad crimp on that wire causing the camera to drop after a few days. It just really threw me off since it would work for a number of days. Wanna say thanks for the feedback and chiming in on the thread!

Sorry it took so long to reply back just didn’t have time to mess with it until last week.