Only low resolution available

speedino

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, i have had a security system with 14 hikvision cameras installed for a while but never went into the settings to check the configurations until now. My DVR is a DS-7216HVI-SH/A and only supports 576p analog cameras.
Anyway my problem is with the resolution of cameras, in the video settings on the DVR i am able to set only one camera to 704*576 resolution, as soon as i set this resolution for a random camera, all the other cameras settings only give 352*288 or 176*144 as options.
At first i thought this was due to the HD capacity of only 500 GB, so i set the bitrate type to Variable and the Frame Rate from 30 to 10, i expected that doing i would have been able to set more cameras or even all of them to the max resolution possible (576p).
The only difference that i noticed is that now the camera footage gets stored for 7 days instead of 4, but i am still not able to change the other cameras resolution.
Why am i still not able to max the resolution? I would rather have a few days of recording but better resolution than this, but i cannot find the way to set it this way.

Thanks for your help! ;)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the spec sheet on the dvr. It is very limited in the video processing. The frame size and frame rate appear to affect the other channels.

What is the model number of the cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I experienced this on my old Dahua 1080p DVR. and even a newer one. Many of the "Lite" versions have limitations as to total FPS and or total bitrate. I can only run one camera on an older 8 ch DVR at 30FPS, all others switched to max of 15FPS. If I try to increase it will continue to limit other cameras even lower.

I also found on older Dahua DVR, that the FPS is a total of both the standard 24/7 recording combined with the Motion Recording. So effectively with 8 cameras it was calculating available FPS based on two settings for each camera in this case.

That is part of the difference between the 2000/4000/5000/7000 series Dahua NVR/DVR's. As you move up, you get more processing power

speedino

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers, apparently you're right, my DVR is only capable of processing one 576p camera.

Can you suggest me a new DVR for 16 analogic cameras? And will installing it be as simple as just unplugging the old one and plugging the new one?