ONVIF and IVS events

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
With an ONVIF camera and NVR, configured to use ONVIF, are events like line crossing and intrusion detection supposed to work? Doesn't work for me with a Dahua camera and LTS NVR (motion events work ok). If it's supposed to work, I don't see any easy way to determine if it's the camera or NVR at fault.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With an ONVIF camera and NVR, configured to use ONVIF, are events like line crossing and intrusion detection supposed to work?
Nope, ONVIF has no provisions for IVS Features.. If you want to make use of them on your NVR; you'll require a Dahua NVR.

Basic Motion Detection is something ONVIF Protocols support; most advanced features are not in the ONVIF spec.. just basics.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Bummer, but thanks for letting me know. The Dahua NVR is "in the mail" from Andy, but it may be a few weeks before I get it. DHL in my area is afraid of snow. They sat on my previous delivery for 2 weeks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not so - ONVIF supports multiple event types, it's open-ended.
Start up ONVIF Device Manager with the camera on the same network.
Select the camera in ODM and click the Events page.
Generate some 'smart events' and look carefully at the rule engine referenced in the events.
Check out these rules from a Hikvision 3335 - they all can appear in the ONVIF event notifications.
Whether an NVR does anything with them is another matter...
ONVIF.jpg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like onvif manager answers my question. My LTS cameras show the same rules as in the previous post. The Dahua camera shows only "Region 1", which I'm assuming is motion detect, and "Tamper Detector". I guess this is what I get with a low cost Chinese camera. Maybe the LTS IVS events will work with a Dahua NVR. I sure hope the Dahua IVS events work with a Dauha NVR!

When I try to dump the event list from the Dauha camera I get the error shown in the picture below. Maybe somebody knows what it means?
ovnif_events.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That appears to be a Windows security error of some sort. Though I have no idea of the cause or resolution.
There is some rather cryptic info here : Configuring HTTP and HTTPS
Are you running under an administrator account?
Perhaps try running ODM as administrator.
Just guessing though.

Just for info, on ONVIF event notifications, here is a detail example from the Hikvision 3335 camera in the earlier screenshot.
You can see under Topic the types of events - Motion, Line Crossing and Intrusion.
ONVIF_1.jpg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Good advice to run as administrator. I should have thought of this myself. The result is that I don't get the error displaying the event list, but the event list is totally blank. This is with the Dahua camera. What I find puzzling is that I don't get the error with the LTS cameras, even if running non-admin. For now I'll chalk it up to Chinese market camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but the event list is totally blank.
Yes, I get this on the low-cost Amovision, Vanxse, IPCC IP cameras, they don't generate ONVIF event notifications.
But plenty of events with various more well-known brands.
From what I recall (and it's been ages since I studied the specification), ONVIF push/pull event subscription notifications were optional under ProfiileS, so often not implemented in ONVIF-compatible IP cameras.