Onvif camera added to Unifi Protect

cdf1982

n3wb
Mar 11, 2021
Italy
Good morning!

I'm helping a person who owns Hikvision cameras and wanted to add them to their Unifi Protect via the recently added Onvif support.

I wonder if other Ubiquiti users here have noticed the following issue:

- Before the integration in Unifi Protect, the Onvif cameras' RTSP stream can be opened by a third party app.

- Once those cameras are connected to Unifi Protect via Onvif, they work there but cannot be streamed anymore with other apps.

- There's a catch: if the third party app is already open and streaming before adding the cameras to Unifi Protect, the streaming keeps working. But then, quitting the app and relaunching it doesn't work anymore.

My hunch considering the "catch" above is that the Unifi system is monopolising all available streams when adding a camera, but it's odd because Hikvisions are usually pretty generous in terms of concurrent streams, and I don't really see why Protect would need more than one open (unless there's a bug in the new implementation). I obviously might be mistaken, and I should point out I have zero personal experience with Unifi products.

Thanks!