Onvif firmware bug(?) in IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (latest firmware)

drhaller

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

First, I got my cameras from Empire Tech Andy (from amazon.com).

I am having trouble getting Nx Witness 4.0 beta to recognize the dual streams from an "onvif" point of view. I have been working with the Networkoptix Support (a great team) but all fingers point at the camera software at this point.

What I want to do is record the sub-stream 100% of the time (Networkoptix does motion detection on this sub-stream) and only record at full-def (high frame-rate, etc) during motion/analytics events.

I started with the firmware that came with the camera (2.800.0000005.0.R, Build Date 2019-03-25) and it did not work with Nx Witness 4.0 beta and then I updated the firmware to:

DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000008.0.R.190619 and then to:

DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.0000010.0.R.190807

But still, the camera will not return it's onvif profile's properly. Networkoptix support pointed out that this issue shows directly in ODM (Onvif Device Manager).

This is the error I see in ODM - I am guessing that the XML that is returned is malformed or something:

5231-profile-error.png

My "boobie cam" (IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M) came with older firmware "2.622.0000000.31.R, Build Date: 2018-08-13" and does return the onvif profiles properly.

boobie-cam-channel1.png

I tried to load this "2.622.0000000.31.R, Build Date: 2018-08-13" on my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE but the camera complains it is too old :-(.

Can anyone test the ODM "Profiles" button for me with their IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and report what they find?

Networkoptix also reported that Dahua is still providing Onvif v16.12 for this camera. This version is from December 2016! The current version is v19.06 of June 2019. Previous versions were v17.06, v17.12, v18.06, and v18.08. This is not good either.

I will make sure Andy see's this post - perhaps he has some influence to get this fixed by Dahua.

Thanks in advance,

/dan

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the error I see in ODM - I am guessing that the XML that is returned is malformed or something:
It's probably not related to the problem that you are reporting - but I'm curious why you've needed to add the cameras manually to ODM.
Normally, ODM will find and populate the found list automatically.
Is the PC on a different, routed network segment than the cameras?
If so, maybe for interest can you hook the PC up to the same network segment as the camera are on, and see if it makes any difference?

drhaller

n3wb
Reaction score
It's probably not related to the problem that you are reporting - but I'm curious why you've needed to add the cameras manually to ODM.
Normally, ODM will find and populate the found list automatically.
Is the PC on a different, routed network segment than the cameras?
If so, maybe for interest can you hook the PC up to the same network segment as the camera are on, and see if it makes any difference?
BTW - ODM was installed in a Windows 10 VM on my MacBook that runs VMware Fusion :).

I am very new to ODM - I manually added my camera's only for the purposes of validating the error that was returned when attempting to get the ONVIF profiles. I have no other real need to use ODM at this point. I did notice that ODM was "trying" to discover cameras on the wrong subnet at first... so I just added the two I was interested in for my quick validation. I installed ODM - did no reading of docs - simply to get the results that I needed across 3 different firmware versions.

/dan

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What mode is the networking using in the VM? If it's a NAT mode, maybe try it in a bridge mode and see if the discovery is automatic.

drhaller

n3wb
Reaction score
My issue is not an issue of networking, I don't really care about ODM or its automatic discovery capabilities as I only have 3 cameras (with 4 lenses total). I am only using ODM to test the camera's "onvif" capabilities. The issue is that ODM is requesting the "onvif" profiles of the camera (to understand the streams and channels that the camera can offer) and is reporting an error with the camera response. There is not a TCP/IP issue but an issue at the application layer.

This seems to be a regression in the Dahua software for my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE camera.

/dan

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I do understand that you are only using ODM to try to verify an ONVIF implementation error.
But my thought was that perhaps as you had to 'force' ODM to query the cameras, that maybe it was not telling the whole truth, depending as it does on broadcasts. Which generally do not traverse a routing interface.

drhaller

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastair, I appreciate your comments. I put ODM on a VM so I could easily revert to a snapshot and be 100% rid of it when finished using it. I have opened a ticket with Dahua USA - but who knows what they will do since this was an OEM camera running their software. I will keep ipcamtalk (and Andy) up to date with my findings.

/dan

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone test the ODM "Profiles" button for me with their IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and report what they find?
I get the same results as you on all of my 5231s -- improper results in the ODM Profiles area.

My 5442, 1831C-PIR and non-Dahua cameras all report Profiles that look like this:
Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 11.14.17 AM.png

Last edited:

drhaller

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks arisobrat...

So to be clear - is it true "For all your cameras Dahua (and otherwise), the Profile button works?"

My problem is that for the latest firmware on my Dahua 2mp turret, HDW5231R-ZE it is not working.

/dan

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So to be clear - is it true "For all your cameras Dahua (and otherwise), the Profile button works?"
Sorry, I was running out to lunch and did not word my post well.

ODM was not able to pull back the Profile information from any of my 5231s.
ODM was able to pull back to the Profile information from all of my other cameras (Dahua 5442, Dahua 1831C-PIR, and some models from other manufacturers).

drhaller

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks aristobat, No Problem (as your avatar says).

BTW - I got the following response from Dahua USA on my support ticket, so I will have to lean on Empire Tech Andy to get the software updated.

/dan

- - - - - -

"Thank you for the response.

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your product. Our Support team is only able to assist in Dahua products that are geared for North America. Even though your product may state Dahua it is possible that it was purchased through a third party and then sold in this market.

Unfortunately, since you have purchased the product from a third party and we cannot verify the Serial Number that you have provided, you will need to talk to the person or company that you purchased the system from for more support. You are also welcome to visit our information database at: http://dahuawiki.com/ for instructional videos, How To guides, and specifications.

Thank you contacting Dahua Technical Support."

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks aristobat, No Problem (as your avatar says).

BTW - I got the following response from Dahua USA on my support ticket, so I will have to lean on Empire Tech Andy to get the software updated.

/dan

- - - - - -

"Thank you for the response.

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your product. Our Support team is only able to assist in Dahua products that are geared for North America. Even though your product may state Dahua it is possible that it was purchased through a third party and then sold in this market.

Unfortunately, since you have purchased the product from a third party and we cannot verify the Serial Number that you have provided, you will need to talk to the person or company that you purchased the system from for more support. You are also welcome to visit our information database at: Dahua Wiki for instructional videos, How To guides, and specifications.

Thank you contacting Dahua Technical Support."
Dahua does not support end users...at all. Only their distributors.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy's done a good job working with Dahua support in the past to get firmware issues like this fixed, so hopefully he can have them check this one out.

Can Nx Witness be manually configured with a path to the secondary stream (while we wait for a fixed firmware)?

drhaller

n3wb
Reaction score
Sadly, the streams cannot be configured manually. I have asked for this feature for us "experts". The other parts of the ONVIF interface are working fine... stuff like the PTZ stuff and the Events, it's just the auto-discover of the streams that is broken.

/dan

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, I was running out to lunch and did not word my post well.

ODM was not able to pull back the Profile information from any of my 5231s.
ODM was able to pull back to the Profile information from all of my other cameras (Dahua 5442, Dahua 1831C-PIR, and some models from other manufacturers).
@EMPIRETECANDY
I get the same results, 5231s fail.

drhaller

n3wb
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY - has there been any response from Dahua engineers from your contact points on this issue? I can't see how they can advertise this camera as ONVIF compliant with the latest software issues.

All for now,

/dan

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY - has there been any response from Dahua engineers from your contact points on this issue? I can't see how they can advertise this camera as ONVIF compliant with the latest software issues.

All for now,

/dan
Perhaps this requires more stick and less carrot. Contact ONVIF consortium, tell them a product advertising ONVIF Compliance is in fact not compliant. They might have a system to force resolution in one direction or the other.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interestingly, Blue Iris is able to connect via ONVIF and pull back some info.

Opening 192.168.1.20 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2019-10-02T01:48:03.000Z
Requesting device information...
Manufacturer: Dahua
Model: IPC-HDW5231R-Z
FirmwareVersion: 2.800.0000008.0.R, Build Date 2019-06-19
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Imaging services: /onvif/imaging_service