Open Eave Roof

LoLight

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!!

I've purchased bullet type cameras to be installed under my open eave roof.
The roof design looks similar to one in the picture.
I've searched this forum and only found a couple of examples of other open eave roof installs.
I'm planning on purchasing these HD junction boxes and attaching the base of the camera to the side.

4 in. x 4 in. x 4 in. PVC Junction Box (Case of 3)-E987NR - The Home Depot

That way I think I'll be able to clear the edge of the roof plus the gutter.
Are there better ways to attach the cameras to this type of the roof?

Thank you!!!

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, every rodent out there would love that roofline if it really has all those holes to enter the interior from.

Do not allow any nearby surfaces (like the next rafter) to be within the camera's IR flood area, or else it will reflect IR back very strongly and cause the image to be foggy/low contrast.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those holes are generally screened in a way that would keep rodents out.
A purpose built junction box made for the cameras you're installing would be better.

Fro

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you talking about mounting directly to the rafters/the underside of the roof? Or putting the junction box on the wall? I have the same type of open eaves, but I just mounted to the wall, most ~7.5 feet from the ground, and this still left me enough clearance under the eaves so the IR doesn't reflect off the gutter or anything.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you consider @Fro 's idea and use this Home Depot / Lowe's item ==>> Bullet Camera Mounting Box

If necessary, the 2 inline mounting ears could be screwed to the rafter, albeit they'd lose strength. There are cast metal versions of this box/lid available.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
You can probably use either junction box that is being recomended above. I would run a piece of grey pvc into the attic space so that your cable is protected. Make sure your junction box can accommodate a grey threaded fitting in either 1/2" or 3/4". Then glue a 18" piece of grey pvc to it and use a two hole pvc strap to hold the pipe against the truss.

LoLight

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the my actual roof.

Are you talking about mounting directly to the rafters/the underside of the roof? Or putting the junction box on the wall?
Mounting to the rafters or underside of the roof depending on the final positioning of the camera and dimensions of the junction box.
I suggest you consider @Fro 's idea and use this Home Depot / Lowe's item ==>> Bullet Camera Mounting Box
Hmm, I don't think that box will work since it's not high enough to clear the gutters.
You can probably use either junction box that is being recomended above. I would run a piece of grey pvc into the attic space so that your cable is protected. Make sure your junction box can accommodate a grey threaded fitting in either 1/2" or 3/4". Then glue a 18" piece of grey pvc to it and use a two hole pvc strap to hold the pipe against the truss.
OK, I think that's what I'm going to use - a 3/4" grey conduit attached to a junction box. The box will be screwed to the rafter or underside of the roof.

Thank you guys for your advice and suggestions!!!
Gonna stop by my local HD and look for some suitable hardware.
Since I did have mice infestation in the attic before I now plan on installing a grey 3/4" conduit across the length of the attic.
Will attempt to install on the coming weekend - will post pictures when finished. :)

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, I don't think that box will work since it's not high enough to clear the gutters.
They would not; that's why I suggested in Post #5 you mount to the rafters to clear the gutters. But I am glad you have decided on a plan.