OpenALPR Tool - Save and Query CSV Exports

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I sent in a contact form inquiring on whether they might consider selling a hobbyist API subscription service. We are not interested in whether a car had ever been in an accident or flood, or had more than 1 owner. We just want the year/make/model.

Otherwise I believe OpenALPR offers their vehicle data, based on what the camera can see, so night time data wouldn't be there.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
OK quick check looks like if you can get the Plate and State in this format, it will pull up the VIN data

PLATE&state=ST

add https:// in front of this:

www.autocheck.com/vehiclehistory/?siteID=5170&plate=PLATE&state=ST

But can the VIN data then be pulled from that page
Thanks for the lead, wittaj. The data shows on the webpage okay within a javascript, but the string cannot be copied in automation for our collection purposes, at least I can't.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey biggen, what is the diffrence between the now-closed AutoCheck JSON process and the OpenALPR webhook process? The AutoCheck used to allow make/model/year/VIN, and some other data as long as a plate was in the database. Isn't the OpenALPR limited to daytime estimates based on the camera view?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I sent in a contact form inquiring on whether they might consider selling a hobbyist API subscription service. We are not interested in whether a car had ever been in an accident or flood, or had more than 1 owner. We just want the year/make/model.

Otherwise I believe OpenALPR offers their vehicle data, based on what the camera can see, so night time data wouldn't be there.
I guess if you or @Gymratz or anyone else conclude that they broke this and cannot figure out another way, what do we think is a reasonable fee to propose to them for year/make/model if they come back with an unrealistic number? I was thinking maybe $50/year, but would prefer it a lot cheaper!

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
My best guess is that my inquiry will be politely answered, and nothing will come of it, at least quickly. If GymRatz could quantify how many users there are of the LPR downloader/viewer (or at least how many times the github code has been downloaded) then that might allow for more leverage with the AutoChecker company. I would pay $50 a year for their data, and if 20 people would then that's $1000 a year for them.

I still vote for tech101 to be the LPR lobbyist; he might even have a set of golf clubs!

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea will happily pay for the data as well. Is there any other site with a API ? And provide the data for cheaper what we are looking for ? Cheaper than at-least 49.99 every 21 days..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One has to wonder if all the queries we are doing to that site caused them to look into it? Why else block that now because if anyone wanted more than we were getting, they were selling those reports before.

I have been searching around and cannot find anything cheap per month. Things like 25 free per month (which could work for some of us with a good database already developed for the neighborhood) and others were like 10 cents per lookup.

I will keep looking and if I see anything remotely close I will add here for the experts to look at it.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
One thought is that $49.99 for unlimited look-ups, and subscribe only once a year to fill up the missing years' records. Not ideal. Even then, if the data gets returned via a javascript rather than a JSON output then extracting the data automatically would not be possible, at least for me.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Or get 17 people to serially subscribe every 21 days and share the logins. It's unlimited data, albeit times 17, but getting $850 from 17 people is better than getting $0 from 17 people! Of course, only if the EULA allows it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is another question, even if they agree to say $50 per year, did this change now mess up the ability to pull this info into the tool and we still couldn't retrieve it automatically? Not worth the $50 if it doesn't come in a format to automatically pull it in to the tool.

Last edited:

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Even if we do pay for the $49 sub is it easy to modify the code again to work @DLONG2 ? If it can work I can pay the $49 that be still nice so we can pull make model year of the vehicles via the tool :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even if we do pay for the $49 sub is it easy to modify the code again to work @DLONG2 ? If it can work I can pay the $49 that be still nice so we can pull make model year of the vehicles via the tool :)
I hope so, but I have no idea if the captcha is the deal breaker? Hopefully the code masters can figure it out if Experian even responds to the request?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I hope so, but I have no idea if the captcha is the deal breaker? Hopefully the code masters can figure it out if Experian even responds to the request?
I am guessing if we pay for it we can then use the API like we were using it.

It will just have the API key will have to put in to the line of code. I am not a programmer I hope @Gymratz or @DLONG2 can give us a better idea.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Also in the meanwhile, I am thinking anyway to manually look up vin info and enter it into the database ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess should we give it a day or two to see if Experian replies to @DLONG2, OR would it be better if several of us hit them up on the contact form and they see that for a reasonable cost, they can generate a little extra revenue from their site?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also in the meanwhile, I am thinking anyway to manually look up vin info and enter it into the database ?
Yeah I was thinking about the same thing and manually keying in the VIN info and make/model as well for any new frequent vehicles that pass by, although I would prefer it be automated.

We cannot input that into the LPR viewing screen and I haven't dug around enough to see where else to enter this info - where does that reside to enter it?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about the same thing and manually keying in the VIN info and make/model as well for any new frequent vehicles that pass by, although I would prefer it be automated.

We cannot input that into the LPR viewing screen and I haven't dug around enough to see where else to enter this info - where does that reside to enter it?
I am sure we can connect to sql managment studio and edit it directly. I dont know exactly where though.

I have also message a developer on fiverr who have helped me in the past with the reporting module which then gymrat was able to improve a whole lot more.

I am seeing if he can help us edit the code where we can double click on any field and add/edit it directly in viewer. Will see if he can do it he is looking into the code now.

Or if @DLONG2 has time and can edit the code to do that . That way we can at-least add frequent vehicles as we like or even edit the one which are wrong or were missed. :)

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
So Esperian AutoCheck responded this AM with a basic form letter, asking for details on my business for a sales associate to contact me. Hopefully my second response will allow them to better focus on what us hobbyists are asking for.