OpenVPN & Conflict with NordVPN

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I followed this link from @SouthernYankee

Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

And all set up.

But the OpenVPN Tunnelblick client on my OS gives me the following errors:

Warning: This VPN may not connect in the future.

The OpenVPN configuration file for 'client' contains these OpenVPN options:

• 'ns-cert-type' was deprecated in OpenVPN 2.4 and removed in OpenVPN 2.5

• 'comp-lzo' was deprecated in OpenVPN 2.4 and has been or will be removed in a later version

You should update the configuration so it can be used with modern versions of OpenVPN.

Tunnelblick will use OpenVPN 2.4.6 - OpenSSL v1.0.2q to connect this configuration.

However, you will not be able to connect to this VPN with future versions of Tunnelblick that do not include a version of OpenVPN that accepts the options.

Has anyone seen this?

ALSO

I have a VPN client already (NordVPN) - so does this mean I can't use it???

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I spent an hour setting everything up and the router went crazy on me. I couldn't access it; it said it was on a different IP to my computer. I've hard reset and will start again tomorrow

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I followed this link from @SouthernYankee

Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

And all set up.

But the OpenVPN Tunnelblick client on my OS gives me the following errors:

Warning: This VPN may not connect in the future.

The OpenVPN configuration file for 'client' contains these OpenVPN options:

• 'ns-cert-type' was deprecated in OpenVPN 2.4 and removed in OpenVPN 2.5

• 'comp-lzo' was deprecated in OpenVPN 2.4 and has been or will be removed in a later version

You should update the configuration so it can be used with modern versions of OpenVPN.

Tunnelblick will use OpenVPN 2.4.6 - OpenSSL v1.0.2q to connect this configuration.

However, you will not be able to connect to this VPN with future versions of Tunnelblick that do not include a version of OpenVPN that accepts the options.

Has anyone seen this?

ALSO

I have a VPN client already (NordVPN) - so does this mean I can't use it???
Hi Alan

NordVPN is a different client, typically designed to go OUT of your home via a VPN.

You want to configure a OpenVPN client to go into your home LAN where the OpenVPN server is running.

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @mat200

So in theory they shouldn't conflict then right? I just followed the instructions above - I will try again tomorrow. !

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using OpenVPN on my home Asus router, and use Nord on several PCs and hand-held devices, and have had no conflicts other than when I log off of OpenVPN, it also logs me off of Nord on my phone. But I can just reconnect to it, and it's up and running again.

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @J Sigmo - that gives me more confidence to try again tomorrow. I have no idea what happened - I had to hard reboot everything. More hope for tomorrow. Cheers