Openvpn connection works but cannot access blue iris

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just finished setting up my dahua cams and Blue Iris box as well as openvpn on my Android. I connect just fine with the openvpn for Android app. When I go to launch the ui3 page in Chrome i.e. 192.168.1.6:81/ui3.htm (that is the static local ip for my blue iris box), I cannot connect. I have no problem when on the local Lan.

I'm trying to figure out why and despite a lot of searching, I'm just not finding any answers. If I select Chrome in the openvpn app to use the VPN only while the VPN is connected, then I loose all internet connectivity on my phone in chrome, so I'm not able to access the local network. Could I have a firewall issue?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where is the openvpn server ? Is it on the BI box or on your router ?

Where are you testing the android app, at home on the wifi ? On the cell network at home ? or on a remote connection (work, coffee shop....)

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where is the openvpn server ? Is it on the BI box or on your router ?

Where are you testing the android app, at home on the wifi ? On the cell network at home ? or on a remote connection (work, coffee shop....)
The VPN server is running on my Synology router. I am using the openvpn app on my android away from home using LTE only.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So with WIFI disabled on your phone, using LTE on your phone you connect to the synology router using the OpenVPN client on your phone. You can not use chrome to connect to the BI UI3 interface, after your have connected to the OpenVPN server.

When at home with wifi enable you can connect to UI3 on your phone.

Provide a screen shot of the phone error for UI3.

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So with WIFI disabled on your phone, using LTE on your phone you connect to the synology router using the OpenVPN client on your phone. You can not use chrome to connect to the BI UI3 interface, after your have connected to the OpenVPN server.

When at home with wifi enable you can connect to UI3 on your phone.

Provide a screen shot of the phone error for UI3.
Summed up exactly.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This error show that you are not connected to the VPN. There is a lot more information required.
Show the same screen when on the home wifi, connected.
show the openvpn connection screen.

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This error show that you are not connected to the VPN. There is a lot more information required.
Show the same screen when on the home wifi, connected.
show the openvpn connection screen.
I'll post this later when I get home. Thx

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The OpenVPN icon at the top of the android screen is missing. It is normally a KEY or an horseshoe.

Screenshot_connected.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you show the VPN configuration in your router? It may not be configured to bridge the VPN with your LAN for some reason.

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are several screenshots of my router configuration. I am thinking I may have something not quite right in the firewall rules, but I am not positive. I set them up per support on the Synology community forum when I was trying to get the router VPN server working.

Can you show the VPN configuration in your router? It may not be configured to bridge the VPN with your LAN for some reason.
On thinking this over I just added a rule for the 172.22.0.1-172.22.0.254 like the LAN and Guest LAN rules. Once I added it and tried to connect to the ui3 page, I immediately got hits on it. I seem to be getting me into the ui3 page now. I still have something not quite right in the Blue Iris app though as it won't connect when using OpenPVN.

I am a network noob but I am not trying to be spoon fed. I've been working with PCs for 20 years, just very little on the networking side. I've done a lot of research and reading for many months including the VPN primer (literally every page), etc. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent, if you got UI3 working, the mobile apps use the same communication method so I believe it is just a matter of making sure the LAN and WAN addresses are both identical in the app config.

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris checked as an app to use VPN in the openvpn config, and changed the Wan address to match the Lan address and its not connecting (both 192.168.1.6:81 which is the static address of my BI pc) . The username/pass I confirmed in BI on my PC as being what I setup there). Ui3 however is connecting, and I also have chrome selected to use the VPN in the config.

Last edited:

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go figure. Now all of a sudden the Blue Iris app has decided to start connecting. Hopefully it will continue to cooperate. Thank you both for your help.