OpenVPN, Must Router be Inline to Modem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jose R., Apr 18, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Jose R.

Jose R. Getting the hang of it

Quick note, I have discovered that if I am on the new Wi-Fi network provided by the ASUS, I can no longer stream to the TV or the receiver. They are hardwired and not using any Wi-Fi. It seems now they are on different networks since they are on a switch fed by the ATT router but shared by the ASUS. Now we are seeing the headaches of 2 routers... Didn't take long, huh? :D

What's the best way to fix this? I'm sure there's some IP work I can try but am unaware of. Or I can also just go the guaranteed gorilla route and just wire everything off the ASUS by running a wire back to the AV center and feeding the A/C Center switch from it. This way the ASUS is inline and upstream of everything, instead of at the end of the line the way I have it now.

Maybe static IP the TV to something in the ASUS DHCP pool? Would that force it to connect to the ASUS and ignore the ATT?

Thirdly, I could also just relocate the ATT router into the VMS closet by extending the WAN feed from ATT to that location and run it all from one spot. Downside there is not having all the IPTV equipment in one place for simplicity and/or checking status. Tho moving it here requires one less UPS to keep the system up and online...

So! What should I try first?

Thanks, all!

2. NoloC

NoloC Getting comfortable

I think you are describing what would be expected since the ASUS is in the DMZ.

Just run one more wire or move the ASUS so everyting is downstream of it and the ATT modem is passthrough to the ASUS WAN port.

If bridge mode is not easy to set, have ATT send you the BGW210-700. I believe the main difference is no coax but looks like you are not using that connection anyway.

3. Jose R.

Yep, sounds like I may have to do that. Unfortunately I read the IPTV's need to still be connected to the ATT router so I'm essentially going to need to run 2 physical separate networks in the house if I want to hardwire the TV's.

The new diagram should solve my issue. Note the new red backfeed wire. This isolates the IPTV traffic from the home network and has the ASUS upstream of everything so it can do it's job.

Network Diagram.jpg

4. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Pulling my weight

Are you not over thinking/complicating things?

Your BI server has 2 network cards, so it can effectively bridge (or even route) 2 networks. So on your internet side reserve an IP address on your router so that that network card will always be assigned the same when restarted. On the CCTV side, assign a static IP address on a separate network and assign all the cams to be on that same network with then all being static. On this network don’t assign a default gateway, unless there’s a good reason none of the devices on that network need access to the internet.

Once you have this setup, then think about getting remote access via VPN. You might to run the Asus in AP mode in order to keep to a single network, running in AP mode will disable DHCP and NAT so your main router will need to provide these but as I pointed out above running in AP mode does mean that VPN capabilities aren’t available. I’m currently looking into running a VPN server on another device or even hacking this into the Asus in AP mode.

5. Jose R.

Every damn day. :D

That's the issue tho: The whole point of the ASUS router is for the VPN and the Wi-Fi. As it stands now, I think I have successfully placed the ATT router in pass-thru mode to the ASUS. So I just need to refeed the A/V center from the ASUS and I should be good to go.

6. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Pulling my weight

If you’ve put the ATT router into pass thru mode then normally the network ports on the back won’t work so you’ll have to move the devices from it to the switch.

7. Jose R.

That would normally be correct. But as stated before, this gateway can't be properly set to pass-thru. You can only do a pseudo pass thru by jumping thru some DMZ hoops. The end result is that it still routes so the IPTV equipment is still run directly off it. It's been working that way just fine for a few days.