OpenVPN Server or Client

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm trying to get OVPN going on my home network to see my cameras.

I assume that I just need to get the OVPN Server going on my DDWRT router, and that the Client goes on the, device connecting to the home network from outside. I know this may be a stupid question but some tutorials that talk about setting up OpenVPN on ddwrt start with enabling OVPN server AND client. But I don't think I need the client running on the Router ?

I have read a lot on line from ddwrt and others regarding setting up OVPN, but I find its not always clear, or they assume I have knowledge and acronyms I don't. Has any one got a link to what they think are the simplest instructions for DDWRT setup of Openvpn.
Regards

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand where the confusion is coming from. An OpenVPN client on the dd-wrt does make sense, if (and only if) you want to hide your WAN traffic TOWARDS another OpenVPN Server. And if you follow that logic, then you know it does not make sense doing so to get your (mobile) traffic INTO your home network.

This being said: you indeed deploy OpenVPN server on your dd-wrt. I always followed the instructions on openvpn.net, you generate your keys, you generate your .ovpn files, you get them on your client devices and off you go. The advantage of the openvpn.net documentation: they talk you through the opions YOU may like, and not some common-based tutorial. For example: if you want to employ HMC dual security measurements, you can do so, even if your tutorial does not explain the concept.

Good luck!
CC

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. i have been trying to follow the instructions from that site, but the first question I have which I didn t see the answer to is.
Do i have to "INSTALL" openvpn" complete package on my computer at home when I am not going to use this computer because OPENVPN, is running on the Router. I have downloaded the extra download to generate keys but to get the keys do I need to install OpenVPN on the computer first? Does it use this software to generate keys. The key generator seems to be a bunch of batch files.
Sooo Recap.
Do I need to install Openvpn on computer simply to generate keys, (then I can delete it)?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use OpenVPN on the ASUS router, the router uses the manufacture installed software. I have never installed OpenVPN software on any PC on the local network. The Asus router generates the required files used for the client software on the phone. Not sure about DDWRT.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. i have been trying to follow the instructions from that site, but the first question I have which I didn t see the answer to is.
Do i have to "INSTALL" openvpn" complete package on my computer at home when I am not going to use this computer because OPENVPN, is running on the Router. I have downloaded the extra download to generate keys but to get the keys do I need to install OpenVPN on the computer first? Does it use this software to generate keys. The key generator seems to be a bunch of batch files.
Sooo Recap.
Do I need to install Openvpn on computer simply to generate keys, (then I can delete it)?
Your router with dd-wrt has ssh access, it "acts" like being a real pc, so you can execute key generation scripts (provided within the OpenVPN server package). Now, from your post, I sense that linux is a bit newish to you, so my suggestion is to go for a "OOTB ready" OpenVPN Server router (and the RT-ACXX series of Asus provides a good example, Netgear also has some models), or you indeed need a step-by-step tutorial for dd-wrt. But like I wrote earlier, you might miss some of the fun/capabilities.

Have a look here: DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - OpenVPN server setup guide by egc

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
mm thanks. I slowly giving up on ddwrt. After a week of firmwaring the modem with helps that are poor, then going to the openvpn site again to find helps that are not clear, I'm slowly giving up. While not being a novice sorting though various version and helps that are sometime for one version but not another gives me a headache.

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your router with dd-wrt has ssh access, it "acts" like being a real pc, so you can execute key generation scripts (provided within the OpenVPN server package). Now, from your post, I sense that linux is a bit newish to you, so my suggestion is to go for a "OOTB ready" OpenVPN Server router (and the RT-ACXX series of Asus provides a good example, Netgear also has some models), or you indeed need a step-by-step tutorial for dd-wrt. But like I wrote earlier, you might miss some of the fun/capabilities.

Have a look here: DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - OpenVPN server setup guide by egc
Oddly linux is not really new to me. My path of learning was Xenux , Unix, then Windows, then Linux. But for example. I look up how to get OVPN going on ddwrt site and it says go to openvpn and see there how to install etc. so I go there and try to install the software, but then there are a variety of versions. I try to download but then need the key tools, some version have them others do not. , and l, does old work with new versions? I try to use them and they don't work for me (I'm sure they do for others, obviously I suppose) But it certainly is not straight forward. I do wish they would not mix the Linux and windows install in the same how-to. It says for example to change the var file. Country etc but says nothing about what is the right nomenclature for my country or province. etc. I try googling it and cant seem to find the right answer. It just seems like its Google google google, until (I'm not sure if this has happened to you), I begin to forget what or why you were looking something up cause its so far down the bunny trial. Yes I'm whining, but in all the years I have been in IT its always frustrated me how instruction are so often outdated and not quite right, so your having to extrapolate and make educated guesses. Anyway sorry for the post, its just i have spent so much time on this. pptp sure is easier.
Regards

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
You are right, adding OpenVPN Server on a linux/windows/dd-wrt is not a "regular" walk in the park. And you are thinking out of the box to create keys on your windows and inject those in your dd-wrt. It could potentially work, but then again, not your regular walk in the park. Even configuring on an EdgerouterX (like I did couple of times) is easier than on dd-wrt, because OpenVPN Server is already deployed, you only need to command-line-wise configure it.

But like @SouthernYankee wrote: have a look at your budget: ASUS is great if you want router (ISP/WAN) + wifi onboard, but forget about vlans. If you want vlans, you might look at Ubiquity gear, which can combine either cabled or wifi.

Hope this helps!
CC

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are right, adding OpenVPN Server on a linux/windows/dd-wrt is not a "regular" walk in the park. And you are thinking out of the box to create keys on your windows and inject those in your dd-wrt. It could potentially work, but then again, not your regular walk in the park. Even configuring on an EdgerouterX (like I did couple of times) is easier than on dd-wrt, because OpenVPN Server is already deployed, you only need to command-line-wise configure it.

But like @SouthernYankee wrote: have a look at your budget: ASUS is great if you want router (ISP/WAN) + wifi onboard, but forget about vlans. If you want vlans, you might look at Ubiquity gear, which can combine either cabled or wifi.

Hope this helps!
CC
Thanks all info is appreciated

Oh and one more insult to injury. I go to best buy and ask what routers do you have that have vpn. The sales person didn't know, he went away and came back after asking someone. He said none!! I was shocked. He said they only have bit defender that they can sell me. I assume they make more money on subscriptions than vpn routers. In fact they have more repeaters than routers.
Regards.

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think BestBuy is the best IT consultancy shop :p They are box-movers (FMCG) and like you wrote, subscriptions might marginwise much more interesting. It's no surprise they don't know each and every dirty specification bit of all the stuff they sell, they rely on the smartest customer to do the homework.

So I pulled some google-fu, and this list came out of ASUS routers that support OpenVPN server:
  • RT-N66U
  • RT-AC56U
  • RT-AC66U
  • RT-AC68U
  • RT-AC68P
  • RT-AC87U
  • RT-AC3200
  • RT-AC88U
  • RT-AC3100
  • RT-AC5300
I own(ed) the two bold ones, and can confirm they work like a charm. If you are brave, you can look to flash RMerlin ASUS firmware, which gives you additional (and more security) updates

Hope this helps!
CC

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't think BestBuy is the best IT consultancy shop :p They are box-movers (FMCG) and like you wrote, subscriptions might marginwise much more interesting. It's no surprise they don't know each and every dirty specification bit of all the stuff they sell, they rely on the smartest customer to do the homework.

So I pulled some google-fu, and this list came out of ASUS routers that support OpenVPN server:
  • RT-N66U
  • RT-AC56U
  • RT-AC66U
  • RT-AC68U
  • RT-AC68P
  • RT-AC87U
  • RT-AC3200
  • RT-AC88U
  • RT-AC3100
  • RT-AC5300
I own(ed) the two bold ones, and can confirm they work like a charm. If you are brave, you can look to flash RMerlin ASUS firmware, which gives you additional (and more security) updates

Hope this helps!
CC
Hey thanks. Rely on smart customers yes never thought of that, true.
Regards

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks all info is appreciated

Oh and one more insult to injury. I go to best buy and ask what routers do you have that have vpn. The sales person didn't know, he went away and came back after asking someone. He said none!! I was shocked. He said they only have bit defender that they can sell me. I assume they make more money on subscriptions than vpn routers. In fact they have more repeaters than routers.
Regards.
Yeah, the Best Buy guy was probably flipping burgers at Mcy'ds last week. He probably didn't even know what a VPN was.
The manufactures web site is your friend.
OpenVpn is about as straight forward to setup in stock ASUS firmware as it gets.
I've had this Asus for 3 yrs.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ccb056

n3wb
Reaction score
In my experience IPSEC is much easier to config than OpenVPN

spile

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found installing Wireguard / Pivpn straight forward on a Raspberry Pi. I had no reason to replace my router.

BruceWayne007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm trying to get OVPN going on my home network to see my cameras.

I assume that I just need to get the OVPN Server going on my DDWRT router, and that the Client goes on the, device connecting to the home network from outside. I know this may be a stupid question but some tutorials that talk about setting up OpenVPN on ddwrt start with enabling OVPN server AND client. But I don't think I need the client running on the Router ?

I have read a lot on line from ddwrt and others regarding setting up OVPN, but I find its not always clear, or they assume I have knowledge and acronyms I don't. Has any one got a link to what they think are the simplest instructions for DDWRT setup of Openvpn.
Regards
Hi there Stev Wolf,
Have you made any progress? I have tried reading and researching how to setup OpenVPN on my DD-WRT Asus router and have had no luck.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would think there has to be YouTube videos on how to set it up. I'm guessing your issue has something to do with creating the certificates needed for the server and client. I run my network on a Netgate pfSense router/firewall and making the certs for OVPN was the only part I had to google, rest was straight forward.

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried installing open vpn on a computer to make certificate or what ever it is for client for ddwrt gui. But I then got errors on my computer when I try creating it. I've cant remember errors right now. Tried researching errors cant find answers. It all seems to take time.
Regards.