Opinion on PC for Blue Iris

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been looking for a pc to run BI on. I'm planning on running 6 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras which I've ordered from @EMPIRETECANDY. Found a Dell OptiPlex XE2 with the following spec for a $100:

Windows 10 Professional
Intel i5 4570S quad core processor
8GB RAM
500 GB Hard Drive
ATI HD 8490 Video card
Additional Broadcom Netextreme NIC

I know it's not the latest and greatest but for the time being, I'd like to get the system up and running and then at a later date upgrade to something better. Does this look like it would meet my needs? Any and all opinions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I've got an i5 3450 with 7 cams & and it runs just fine. BI runs around 10-15% & computer runs around 25%. Just get a purple drive for storage and use the drive you have now for OS & BI.

L8tr
D

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Be certain to read the Wiki/FAQ/Cliff Notes for Blue Iris optimization hints. Basically, insure you ALWAYS select 'Direct to Disk' and record in Blue Iris default video format. This insures the Quick Sync h.264 built into the Intel CPU will be used, saving tons of CPU resources.
Thanks. I'm still looking for a pc at the moment, but I'll definitely do this.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Does that PC also have on-board Intel HD Graphics or just the ATI? 500 GB is pretty bad, you def want to throw another hdd in there. Check out the hdd calculator, might find it useful

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does that PC also have on-board Intel HD Graphics or just the ATI? 500 GB is pretty bad, you def want to throw another hdd in there. Check out the hdd calculator, might find it useful
It actually had both, but I wasn't able to get my hands on the pc. The seller didn't bother responding to me. C'est la vie as they say.

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got an i5 3450 with 7 cams & and it runs just fine. BI runs around 10-15% & computer runs around 25%. Just get a purple drive for storage and use the drive you have now for OS & BI.

L8tr
D
To build on this and share my setup, just a few days ago I tossed Blue Iris on a spare rig I had.

i3-3240, 120 GB SSD for OS, 4 TB WD Purple for storage, 8 GB RAM. I did the recommended split of new+db on SSD and 'stored' being on the WD Purple. I'm using 8 cameras (7 = 3 megapixel, 1 = 2 megapixel), all 10 FPS, all record with motion alerts. I hover in the high 20s/low 30s of total CPU usage. Direct to disk enabled on all along with default BVR format being used. I wasn't sure if it would be enough horsepower to maintain these camera settings as i5's are so (understandably) common with recommendations, but so far things are going well on this i3 rig I had just sitting on the shelf. I added a 9th camera temporarily for some unrelated testing and the CPU usage didn't grow in a noticeable manner, so it's I likely have a little bit of headroom yet should I expand on the 8 permanent cams currently employed.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To build on this and share my setup, just a few days ago I tossed Blue Iris on a spare rig I had.

i3-3240, 120 GB SSD for OS, 4 TB WD Purple for storage, 8 GB RAM. I did the recommended split of new+db on SSD and 'stored' being on the WD Purple. I'm using 8 cameras (7 = 3 megapixel, 1 = 2 megapixel), all 10 FPS, all record with motion alerts. I hover in the high 20s/low 30s of total CPU usage. Direct to disk enabled on all along with default BVR format being used. I wasn't sure if it would be enough horsepower to maintain these camera settings as i5's are so (understandably) common with recommendations, but so far things are going well on this i3 rig I had just sitting on the shelf. I added a 9th camera temporarily for some unrelated testing and the CPU usage didn't grow in a noticeable manner, so it's I likely have a little bit of headroom yet should I expand on the 8 permanent cams currently employed.
the recommended split is, BI, OS, DB on SSD, everything else goes on the purple. No need to be moving files, put them all in NEW.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Still fiddling with blue iris.

How do you seprate the database and the actual video recordings. I have an ssd but no room in the case for a 3.5 drive until I build a new pc or buy one. I will have to use an external drive that I have laying around to have space for the clips

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Still fiddling with blue iris.

How do you seprate the database and the actual video recordings. I have an ssd but no room in the case for a 3.5 drive until I build a new pc or buy one. I will have to use an external drive that I have laying around to have space for the clips
Have you checked the video tutorials out for Blue Iris that are linked under the wiki at the top of the page? If not, do so as they are an excellent resource.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an elite desk right now that's an i5 .I think it's a 4 or 3rd gen with an SSD. You think an external USB 3.0 would be fast enough? I wouldn't see why not for clips