Opinions for Hikvision/Dahua on front porch

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been watching and getting opinions on Hikvision & Dahua for front and back and now have a another question. I have a small (about 4 feet square) front porch with the dreaded Foscam ptz w/4mm lens. I'm sure a 2.8mm will work a lot better here. Would a 1.3mp work ok in this situation? I've heard 1.3 seems better at night than 3mp. Is a 4mp overkill? Being at the front door I think sound would be nice (I have that with the Foscam). I don't really need ptz, I've looked at the mini domes, you have other suggestions? I value your opinions.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
1.3 MP is probably fine, and I agree a 2.8mm lens would be better for this since it sounds like your target is close-up. For the same reason, I doubt you will have any trouble with night vision even with a 3MP cam. The infrared illumination should be plenty strong in the near area.

Consider a Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS (3 MP) or DS-2CD2542FWD-IS (4 MP).

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If night vision is so important you're considering 1.3, why not put a really low watt LED bulb on the porch and leave that running :) I'd go with the 3mp

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks guys, sounds like very good advice. Does a dome or mini dome sound like a good idea on the porch? I could use a turret but I'd rather have audio if possible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, sounds like very good advice. Does a dome or mini dome sound like a good idea on the porch? I could use a turret but I'd rather have audio if possible.
The mini dome has the built in mic...that could be a good or bad depending on how you look at it...its certainly easier to install..only downside is weaker IR...

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you really think you'll use it, though? Nobody really will talk to other people through the camera's speaker on a typical front door. You can use it to hear what your kids were fighting about off frame I guess :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman you like those 4mp don't you? I think you're right too, if I don't spend a little more & get the 4mp I will probably regret it before long.
Exactly...not only will you get 4mp with better night vision but you will get US firmware and warranty...they should be available via US sellers in two weeks.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Fenderman
they should be available via US sellers in two weeks.
I'm waiting for that - from all I've read Milkisbad is sounding better all the time.