Opinions needed

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm mounting a camera on the left column of my entry gate. I have already welded the purlin where it will be mounted. It will be solar powered so the solar panels will probably be mounted on the horizontal section at the top. I was originally going to use rigid conduit to run the wires from the solar panel down to the control panel and from the control panel up to the camera and radio which will be mounted on the back side. Now I'm thinking I would like to run the wires inside the pipe instead of using conduit. My question is how would I finish the hole where the wires run through. From the top, I could drill a small hole for the wires and seal it up reasonably well. On the bottom the hole would have to be larger so I can fish the wires out where the control panel is going to be. It is the bottom hole that I am worried about. I'm thinking the bottom hole would have to be about the size of a standard electrical box. Even though it is a farm gate, I would like it to look reasonable and not sloppy. Does anybody have experience finishing pipe like this or opinions on how I can make this a clean install.

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
make a small hole like 1" counduit size, near the camera mount. and push a fish tape up to the top hole, tape your wires to it and pull it back down.....
I know easier said than done...but i would look clean. I am worried however that the Welded crossbar joint might not be hollow. which make the idea a pain in the ass.
I would get away from the notion that the Solar HAS to be on top. That will make your life easier. most panels appear be mounted on an angle to catch the rays as the Sun arc's across the sky.
Up here in North-North America we need a southern exposure to catch sun year-round.
1681028637555.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
I'd also consider using a Condulet at the bottom; it faciliates the initial install and provides better future access in case of issues, mods or expansion.
They make LB's ("B" for bottom opening), T for TOP, L for LEFT and R for RIGHT, plus more options in 1/2" up to I think 4" standard IPS female threads. They make aluminum, cast iron and PVC.

condulet-LB.jpg condulet_types.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
make a small hole like 1" counduit size, near the camera mount. and push a fish tape up to the top hole, tape your wires to it and pull it back down.....
I know easier said than done...but i would look clean. I am worried however that the Welded crossbar joint might not be hollow. which make the idea a pain in the ass.
I would get away from the notion that the Solar HAS to be on top. That will make your life easier. most panels appear be mounted on an angle to catch the rays as the Sun arc's across the sky.
Up here in North-North America we need a southern exposure to catch sun year-round.
View attachment 159533
Hmmmm .. I am thinking that the solar panel could make for a nice shade for the camera itself .. this should result in some protection for the camera ..

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmmm .. I am thinking that the solar panel could make for a nice shade for the camera itself .. this should result in some protection for the camera ..
I was going to ask @Flintstone61 about that. My thoughts were to put one panel along the top on the left and right. The right would be for a gate opener and accent lights. This would provide symmetry and look better? That is the south face so the panel would indeed shade the camera. I do worry about bird nests and droppings if directly above.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
We look forward to your trials and tribulations.
Might be a Version 1, Version 2 kinda experience.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 159533
I've got a good fiberglass fish tape but will probably be unable to find it on the other side. This is why I need a bigger opening. I am wary about unsealed openings being an inviting home for pests. Every thing is hollow but I doubt holes were drilled between the horizontal and vertical members. I do think that lowering the panel the panel is a good idea I might have to use bird spikes to prevent nesting. I'll go with @TonyR recommendations of an LB but have to weld a nipple onto the pipe to screw it to.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another question...
I've got one of the 180 cams and a booby cam. I am undecided which one to use. Off to the left (west) is an irrigation well with an expensive controller that I would like to monitor and of course the driveway. I bought the booby cam from Andy for this but then along came the 180 and I bought it thinking that might be better. Any opinions on which might be better. Once things are installed it won't be difficult to make changes.