Opinions on new Lorex system from Costco

dafish

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. Looking to upgrade an old qsee system and ran across one at Costco online. Lorex 3 TB 8 channel NVR with 5 4mp cameras, night vision and HDR + 1 1080P PTZ with no infared. Seems to be a new system with no reviews around.

The number of cameras would be fine for my use and it would still give me the ability to add 2 later on if the need should arise. I like the return policy at Costco if problems should arise with either the system or Lorex.

Looking for something that will give me better viewing and recorded video. Would this system be a decent alll in one for the price?

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-5-4MP-Bullet-Cameras-and-1080p-PTZ-Camera.product.100317970.html

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. Looking to upgrade an old qsee system and ran across one at Costco online. Lorex 3 TB 8 channel NVR with 5 4mp cameras, night vision and HDR + 1 1080P PTZ with no infared. Seems to be a new system with no reviews around.

The number of cameras would be fine for my use and it would still give me the ability to add 2 later on if the need should arise. I like the return policy at Costco if problems should arise with either the system or Lorex.

Looking for something that will give me better viewing and recorded video. Would this system be a decent alll in one for the price?

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-5-4MP-Bullet-Cameras-and-1080p-PTZ-Camera.product.100317970.html
Welcome to the forum...its a good price and you cannot beat the return policy....Turret style cameras are preferred to avoid spider web IR interference at night however costco does not sell them. This kit is rebranded dahua, which is a solid brand.

steves1328

n3wb
Reaction score

Looks like a solid system to me as I researched it as I am in the market as well. I am just not a big fan of the white cameras and want black so they blend in a little better but unfortunately the kit only comes in white. The nvr is the latest and greatest they make and is capiable of supporting 8mp cameras which I was told would be out next year for them. This system is over $2000 if you price it out piece by piece on the lorex website. The nvr alone sells for over $1000 on their website. If they had it in black I would already have ordered one.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a solid system to me as I researched it as I am in the market as well. I am just not a big fan of the white cameras and want black so they blend in a little better but unfortunately the kit only comes in white. The nvr is the latest and greatest they make and is capiable of supporting 8mp cameras which I was told would be out next year for them. This system is over $2000 if you price it out piece by piece on the lorex website. The nvr alone sells for over $1000 on their website. If they had it in black I would already have ordered one.
You can plastidip any camera and make it black..note it will run hotter if exposed to sun. https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2107-Painting-DS-2CD3332-I-black-Suggestions?p=17992&viewfull=1#post17992

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I thought about this but didn't know what it would do to the warranty if something happened to them down the road within the warranty period.
The plastidip peels right off.

steves1328

n3wb
Reaction score
The plastidip peels right off.
Interesting. Just googled it. This might be an option for me then because I really like that Costco system. Thanks for mentioning this. Have you personally used it before and how did it hold up if so?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. Just googled it. This might be an option for me then because I really like that Costco system. Thanks for mentioning this. Have you personally used it before and how did it hold up if so?
I have not...this stuff is used on cars wheels...wont be an issue on a camera.

dafish

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...its a good price and you cannot beat the return policy....Turret style cameras are preferred to avoid spider web IR interference at night however costco does not sell them. This kit is rebranded dahua, which is a solid brand.

Thanks for the confirmation on price. I know what you mean about spider webs. I have a duster on a collapsible poll that I use to clean them off of my current cameras.

dafish

n3wb
Reaction score
Your right. Buying it in pieces from Lorex would run around $2400. Not the place to shop I see.

I went ahead and put in a order. Should be a nice improvement from the old 600 TVL Qsee I have.

steves1328

n3wb
Reaction score
Your right. Buying it in pieces from Lorex would run around $2400. Not the place to shop I see.

I went ahead and put in a order. Should be a nice improvement from the old 600 TVL Qsee I have.
Let me know how you like it. Now that the painting of the cameras was mentioned I might end up going with this setup as well and just paint the cameras black. Lorex has some good bundles on their website too but if you don't do a bundle that they already have and try to create your own system it costs you an arm and a leg. I called and wanted to simply upgrade nvrs in a specific package they had on sale and pay the difference in price of the two nvrs and they couldn't do it. Said my only option was to spec out the system individually and they could give me 15% off discount was all. The difference between nvrs was $300 but the price to spec it out all individually was $1500 over the cost of the bundled system which was essentially the same thing except for an upgraded nvr. Gentlemen I spoke to was very nice but explained that's just the way it is even though it doesn't make sense. Interested to see how you like your system when you get it.

dafish

n3wb
Reaction score
Let me know how you like it. Now that the painting of the cameras was mentioned I might end up going with this setup as well and just paint the cameras black. Lorex has some good bundles on their website too but if you don't do a bundle that they already have and try to create your own system it costs you an arm and a leg. I called and wanted to simply upgrade nvrs in a specific package they had on sale and pay the difference in price of the two nvrs and they couldn't do it. Said my only option was to spec out the system individually and they could give me 15% off discount was all. The difference between nvrs was $300 but the price to spec it out all individually was $1500 over the cost of the bundled system which was essentially the same thing except for an upgraded nvr. Gentlemen I spoke to was very nice but explained that's just the way it is even though it doesn't make sense. Interested to see how you like your system when you get it.
I will. Not sure how soon I'll have it up. Need to have the house painted and was thinking of waiting until that's done. May test it some before the install.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One thing I'll always do from now on is check out the manufacturer's app first to make sure it doesn't suck. Most of them are pretty lacking, unfortunately, but I'm sure there are some to avoid if mobile is a way you'll interface with your system much.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've installed several of the Q-See units from Costco and they work fine.

dafish

n3wb
Reaction score
I received them and did some minor testing. The bullet cameras are metal. The PTZ comes with a nice heavy metal wall mount if you don't want to ceiling mount it. The PTZ itself is a plastic housing. Got the software installed on the computer and phone.

Also did ddns for web viewing. The only DDNS option is thru lorex but it works fine. Also got IP Cam Viewer Pro working on Android phone. I can fill you in how if the need arises. I like IP Cam Viewer as I can set it up to view some stand alones I have plus the Lorex cams at the same time. I like the lorex interface-software on the nvr, but had to play around with it to become accustomed to it.

The 4mp cameras themselves are only capable of 20fps and 264 compression when recording at 4mp. 3mp and lower setting gets you 30fps. The NVR is capable of 30 fps and 265 compression but you would need more expensive cameras I guess to take advantage of those settings. 20fps seems to be fine when viewing recordings.

I like the picture quality but I am coming from a 600TVL Qsee system. The field of view on these is a great improvement. Didn't do any night shots and not much night testing. The one night I did set a cam outside it looked pretty good to me compared to what I am using. I have already boxed it back up until the house is painted.

If you pm me your email address I'll send you 3 daytime snapshots that I took today before I boxed it back up. I couldn't pm you back. Don't have enough posts.

dafish

n3wb
Reaction score
Started playing around with the system again and was able to add 2 Foscams that I use to monitor the living room and garage. The nice thing is I won't have to depend on viewing these cams with a browser and the NVR also records them as a continuous stream - no motion detection. The Foscams and the NVR are ONIF compliant. Yay! I didn't know this was possible. Still new to NVR's.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
30fps is overkill for video surveillance; most dont find any extra benifit over 15fps.. most people are dealing with human beings.. not a 100mph fastball, or usain bolt running at 23mph.. think alot of people think more fps == more detail, less blur.. and thats wrong, its your exposure settings.. running a high framerate just uses more diskspace for the same equivalent quality.. as long as you use a number divisible by 60 the motion will look smooth, 12/15/20/30fps all look about the same.

dafish

n3wb
Reaction score
30fps is overkill for video surveillance; most dont find any extra benifit over 15fps.. most people are dealing with human beings.. not a 100mph fastball, or usain bolt running at 23mph.. think alot of people think more fps == more detail, less blur.. and thats wrong, its your exposure settings.. running a high framerate just uses more diskspace for the same equivalent quality.. as long as you use a number divisible by 60 the motion will look smooth, 12/15/20/30fps all look about the same.
Thanks. That's good to know. Will back off to 15fps

Kpanic09

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So how is it at night been wanting to get a system and thought these lorex systems were not that great... what would be better this system or this one in my pic.

Attachments