Opinions: Out of these 3 which would you recommend?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking for two "inexpensive" IP cams to be installed inside of the garage, well....actually two garages if you will. See pic below, the other side of the house is identical. The cameras will be mounted inside about 15 feet back from that center entrance door. The primary reason for the cams is just to verify the doors are down (closed) but also to alert if someone walks in or a vehicle drives in. The lighting will be mostly what comes in the garage door windows in the day and most likely very little light at night.

The picture shows a side that faces due south and the other unseen side due north. The lighting will be mostly what comes in the garage door windows in the day and most likely very little light at night with the exception of the garage door opener light if it's been recently opened.

For inexpensive IP cams I present the following list. Which of these would you recommend as the best to go with? I have a N22AL12 so I know what to expect from it. You can see that the extended cost for two cams is not significant so may as well just go with what the best fit is.

BrandDescriptionCostExtended
Dahua IP Camera (x2)2MP IR Dome (N22AL12) 2.8mm
$69.99​
$139.98​
Amcrest IP Camera (x2)5MP IR Turret (IP5M-T1179EW) 2.8mm
$57.99​
$115.98​
Dahua IP Camera (x2)4MP IR Turret (IPC-T2431T-AS) 2.8mm
$74.99​
$149.98​
1650057826848.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for two "inexpensive" IP cams to be installed inside of the garage, well....actually two garages if you will. See pic below, the other side of the house is identical. The cameras will be mounted inside about 15 feet back from that center entrance door. The primary reason for the cams is just to verify the doors are down (closed) but also to alert if someone walks in or a vehicle drives in. The lighting will be mostly what comes in the garage door windows in the day and most likely very little light at night.

The picture shows a side that faces due south and the other unseen side due north. The lighting will be mostly what comes in the garage door windows in the day and most likely very little light at night with the exception of the garage door opener light if it's been recently opened.

For inexpensive IP cams I present the following list. Which of these would you recommend as the best to go with? I have a N22AL12 so I know what to expect from it. You can see that the extended cost for two cams is not significant so may as well just go with what the best fit is.

BrandDescriptionCostExtended
Dahua IP Camera (x2)2MP IR Dome (N22AL12) 2.8mm
$69.99​
$139.98​
Amcrest IP Camera (x2)5MP IR Turret (IP5M-T1179EW) 2.8mm
$57.99​
$115.98​
Dahua IP Camera (x2)4MP IR Turret (IPC-T2431T-AS) 2.8mm
$74.99​
$149.98​
View attachment 125324
I'd go with the 4MP IPCT cam for $75 (now $84, I think). @samplenhold has one in his garage here.

Recommendations for great color indoor cams

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd probably go with the 2431 too for a variety of reasons but I also have a couple of the Amcrest and they'd be OK for that purpose. Not a lot of difference between the two as far as performance really. The Amcrest is a 4:3 ratio so a little different. Does have a mic. I'd buy another if I could find the 3.6.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I see there isn't a lot of love for the N22AL12. Is it the lower resolution or the dome?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Same. Generally avoid domes after not so great experience with them over the years. Since planning to use indoors probably OK but still more potential for dust and dirt on dome in a garage, IR and other odd reflections, not as easy to adjust (granted likely not doing much once set up), etc. You have other better alternatives at about the same cost so no reason to go with that one.