Opinions?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is a nice looking G. I feel like mine is a sleeper. It's quiet and average looking except for the front bumper to fit the intercooler. I don't know how many roll up to me thinking I'm just
a G35 with wheels, and I end up pulling away from them like their not evening pressing the gas pedal!

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
...unless you're doing this and don't need the dead weight.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sleeper?
You'll get a kick out of my buddy's sleeper. :D

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Audi RS6; twin turbo v8.. was one of the best cars made this century; except for that goddamn automatic slushbox and its flappy paddles.

That was the first; and the last Automatic transmission I have owned.. I grenaded the slushbox and it was an $8k fix; or $15k to convert to a 6MT.. so I traded the car in before it stopped being entirely drivable..

My fleet is all manual shifting; from the 100hp 4spd 1975 bus to the 500awhp 6spd Golf.. I can replace a manual in an afternoon for a few hundred dollars and be back on the road; then fix the broken one for next time..

Its getting harder and harder to get manual cars tho; I had to fly ~800miles and drive home to buy my wife's CC because getting a manual in the trim she loved was going to be a mission... My TDI is only one of a handfull ever imported that are 6MT w/4DR and Fully Loaded.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That truck pulling the boat was great!

Nayr, my buddy has an S4 with some work done to it. He said he could chase down 911 turbos and catch them if the driver was wimpy. I LOVE the audi's, but it's too damn expensive to repair
european cars, so I went with Nissan/Infiniti. I had 4 Z cars in my life and absolutely loved them. This infiniti is so much fun to drive, and it's so solid with the upgraded sway bars, front and rear strut bars, coil overs, upgraded control arms, and brembo brakes. I just love driving it. It is my form of therapy!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my Golf has been fully built up; bored/stroked/forged/ported/etc.. 3.0L V6 Big Turbo with Methanol.. 911 turbo's dont stand a chance; nothing does really its so far absurd driving a car that can do a 1/4 mile in 10s

Its very therapeutic; however breaking things gets expensive so that car is in long term storage with hopes me and my son can enjoy it more when he is a lil older.

Volkswagens are much easier on the pocketbook to maintain; my Wife's CC might as well be an audi with all its comfort features and performance... but I saved a good $20k already not getting 4 rings on the front of it.

the above was fully engineered and built by yours truly, never been in a shop :)

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, that is super clean! Is that 10 seconds on slicks, radials, or street tires? That looks like a hand made CAI, nicely done, steel braided lines everywhere, nice. I wish I was more mechanically inclined to do my own work. But at least, I drive it like I built it! Any pics of the outside of that VW? Here's the motor on my G35. It was actually shipped to APS themselves to be built with forged pistons, cam, headwork, injectors, aps intake, aluminum radiator, greddy catch can, greddy extended oil pan, and twin turbo kit. I never took it to the track, but had it dynoed at 500rwhp and 495rwtq.

DSC05331.JPG

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not any recent photos; bunch of old ones in the old chassis and unpainted carbon fiber hood.. I yanked all my stuff out and put it into an AWD R32 Golf; then sold off all the R32 body parts and put the base model golf ones back on and hid the exhaust tips and put a nice quiet muffler on it.. its half put back together right now but when its done it'll look like a stock base model MK4 Golf with some nice rims that look OEM and tinted windows.. the last time it was was on the dyno it put down 432hp and 465tq to the front two wheels @ 18psi; now its got an AWD drivetrain, bigger turbo and a bigger exhaust... it should go up past 600 the way its setup now if I really wanted to push it.. I'll probably tune it in around 500 to keep from breaking axles and transmissions constantly.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know what your saying. I was hearing a noise from my rear end, and my buddy and I did some research and listening. It ended up we had to take out the axle out of the hub, and turn it so the spline starts a new wear pattern. I guess all that power ate up a tooth or two on the spline and the original wear pattern. I've driven the car about 3k miles since I bought it and besides that, no other issues. It starts right up, and cools down properly with the turbo timer. I'd love to see your VW one day, too bad your no where near NYC. I'm not familiar with R32, MK4, terms and stuff, but I do love
the GTI's and VW's in general.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's a short video my friend took while I gave him his first ride in my G.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
:saturn: :satellite: :saturn:

:encouragement: Thumbs up for those advanced car engineering skills. That's not just being able to fix a car any more when you do those upgrades and transplants.

Sadly, for me, car mechanics is another thing that is on my to learn list.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my RS6 was the only car ive ever owned that I never topped out :)

It's speedo went up to 200mph; and it was capable of exceeding that because a stock one in Sweden set the landspeed record for a production car on ICE... IIRC it went like 206mph across a frozen lake on street legal tires :nuts:

I chickened out at ~170 in the middle of a desert; lost confidence in my tires at those speeds and let off the throttle.

now that I am a father/husband I drive like an old man, but I had a bad speed daemon streak and used to do my own cannonball runs.. I think my best trip was 600 miles in 5.5h on a sunday night; you do the math :)

having proof of my dumbass youth would have not worked to my benefit until the statute of limitations had expired, hence why I am anxious about GPS logging.. but I do GPS log road trips with my trailer because I never come close to speeding :)

Last edited by a moderator:

dalepa

Reaction score
I've been watching the dashcam space for awhile now... Still waiting to jump in. I'm the the same camp and looking for a way to record the different places I go for fun, not really for security.

The one feature I want (other than the normal IQ stuff) is to to have the dashcam automagically sync to either my home PC, phone, or some cloud device. I really don't see myself removing the sdcard after the novelty wears off.

hyperlapse tech is picking up and creating some interesting clips from vids...

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I looked at the papago cameras for a while as there are some good deals to be had in that brand price wise, but the video clips (real ones) did not impress that much. For that money the panorama 2 impresses me especially at night.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerUCC-Panorama2S-DashCam-Panorama-International/dp/B00JFUU5OM

I put a cheap $35 das camera in my Abarth and it has worked out perfectly so for. I may move it to the back window after getting rear ended and get another camera for up front. I'm liking the idea of the innovv c3 camera with that nice tiny lens. Waiting on reviews before I jump though.

I also greatly prefer no GPS, that will rarely help me and almost always hurt me in my opinion so it's not worth me having it. I too have disabled the G sensor and such, in the end I want it to record and record well and that is about it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.