Optimization Instruction Clarity Needed

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually using sub streams causes the sub stream to be recorded alongside the main stream in the .bvr file. So it does increase your file sizes somewhat. Unless you record to a different format than .bvr, which is not recommended.
This is very encouraging news. While reading up on the substream setup, somewhere i got the impression that this lead to a necessary loss of resolution but we just had to accept the trade off.
I know that it CLEARLY made my little PC suddenly viable, now, whereas before it was completely garroted.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is your device that is at 192.168.0.1 have an NTP server installed ? if not set time.google.com

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm lacking a step somewhere as I do not have an NTP in place but using Google should be perfect...but of course I'm doing that wrong as well.

First, my modem is 192.168.0.1
This PC's WiFi is connected to the router>modem as 192.168.0.1
This PC's Ethernet is using a specified ip 192.168.22.1 and al the cams are on a 24port PoE switch. that switch is also cat5 to the same router>modem.

I'm assuming that if I put time.google.com in the box, all will be magic. No joy,yet.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you are going to have problems. as you have two different subnet 192.168.0.x and 192.168.22.x.

please provide a network diagram, include the
router/modem
switches
BI PC
Other PCs
cameras.

include the IP address of the devices, manufacture and model number.

provide a screen shot from the BI PC or the windows cmd for ipconfig
example
ipconfig.jpg

A side note: the local camera traffic should never run through the router.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you are going to have problems. as you have two different subnet 192.168.0.x and 192.168.22.x.

please provide a network diagram, include the
router/modem
switches
BI PC
Other PCs
cameras.

include the IP address of the devices, manufacture and model number.

provide a screen shot from the BI PC or the windows cmd for ipconfig
example
View attachment 68514

A side note: the local camera traffic should never run through the router.
Not a problem. My cam network is actually totally separate from the house network EXCEPT when I use the WiFi (which I'm doing now for this discussion. I CAN readily ethernet the PoE switch to the House side if there is a need to do this in order to arrange a time server.
At some point I WILL be wanting to view the cams remotely so I need to now the best way to implement that. WiFi or ethernet to the router? I'll need to look into OpenVPN setup etc.
I spent a few minutes drawing this awful drawing....and then I splashed something on it. Sorry about that. I'll add the drawing from the phone in a moment.
The BI PC is a Lenovo M700 Tiny running i5-6500T, 32Gb Ram M.2 256G and an eSATA 1.5TB NVR
Cable modem is a "Technicolor" (I swear) model n/a
I missed one item in my drawing: at the router location there's an 8-port PoE TP Link switch added solely to power the TP Link AP in the shop.
Annotation 2020-08-13 223756.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can the tiny pc at 192.168.0.135 access the internet directly.
Can the cameras access the internet ?
I would recommend setting up nettime on tiny pc, if it can react the internet. This would then be the time server for the cameras.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can the tiny pc at 192.168.0.135 access the internet directly.
Can the cameras access the internet ?
I would recommend setting up nettime on tiny pc, if it can react the internet. This would then be the time server for the cameras.
IF i leave the WiFi enabled, the PC would have internet.
OR
If I connected ethernet between the house router and the V7 switch. I THINK that I would need to set a second IP in the ethernet adapter (It currently has two settings, .22.1 for the cameras and also .1.0 that i put in for the Dahua initialization. I (again, I THINK) that I can change that to .0.1 and the PC will be on the inthernet over ethernet; I also think this defeats (without further steps) my isolation of the cams...so i need to learn more.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m discovering that most of my assumptions are wrong AND (a separate point) I see that I actually have no choice but to meld the BI net with the home net.
The reason is my shop which is a separate building to which I have installed a single Cat5 in conduit and am currently operating a PoE Access point there to support various WiFi devices (openers and locks and WiFi cams And a TV). I am going to install IP cams out there, so I will necessarily have to install a PoE switch in the shop and use it to operate the access point and also wire the cameras. The same cat5 will have to deliver internet for those other functions in the shop, so to commingle all of it and retain separation, I’ve just got more learning to do!