Optimize Shutter Speeds

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I had to back Brightness back down to 50 since the image was too bright. Waiting for a capture to see how it looks.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You got a good capture for comparison. Not sure any better either. Looking at them back-to-back seems about the same to me.

Kind of odd that the second is a little brighter. Looks like you took gain up 10 but I'm surprised that it still isn't darker. I'm used to looking at my 5231 without external IR though.

May just be about as good as it gets for that cam. I don't know that you'd want to run it that way all the time but Just for the purposes of science ; ) maybe up it as fast as frame rate will go and take shutter down a bunch. If you've got that much IR and it's still that bright at 5, should be able to take it down quite a bit more. Take sharpness down to 20. See if that's any better as far as the motion goes even if a lot darker. You can always work back up but if not any improvement, then I guess that's about it. Not sure what else you could do to get it any better.

Have you walked or driven it yourself? How's that look?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @Mike A. I haven't walked it, just trying to let the wildlife show results, since we have almost nightly visitors. I'll try a few more things. If I don't see much of a difference, I'll probably revert back to my previous settings.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's not bad. Looks about the same to me as far as motion. Think I'd take Gamma down some to get more contrast. You don't really need it at that shutter with as much IR as you have. You could take sharpness up some too. I was just trying to eliminate variables earlier. I'm not sure that the motion is going to get much better anyway.

I've gotten some good critter captures here with my old 5231 but mine usually aren't moving fast where that cam is. They walk up and sniff and sit and hang around for a while. Easier. ; )

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @Mike A. I'll reset the Sharpness and Gamma back to 50. I really appreciate the suggestions!

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
looks good to me, but deer has toilet paper stick to the feet, maybe help? :)

try watching sunset/sunrise
on this time you will may lose contrast due to gamma settings.
not sure if you are using sunset script or automode for mode change

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is this camera? Looks real nice to me. You can take screen shots of the settings and share in here.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
looks good to me, but deer has toilet paper stick to the feet, maybe help? :)

try watching sunset/sunrise
on this time you will may lose contrast due to gamma settings.
not sure if you are using sunset script or automode for mode change
I saw that too! I'm using the sunset/sunrise utility.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thought some may like to see the difference between two common IR illuminators. Identical camera settings for each screenshot. I replaced the 4-LED IR with an 8-LED IR today.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 8.16.41 PM.png

4-LED IR
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 8.15.14 PM.png

8-LED IR
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 8.15.37 PM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^any chance you could try to determine how far those external IR are able to reach? I know they are rated for a certain distance, but we all know that once a camera is dialed in, the distance is less.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
^any chance you could try to determine how far those external IR are able to reach? I know they are rated for a certain distance, but we all know that once a camera is dialed in, the distance is less.
My best estimate would be the 8-LED IR shown above provides useful IR up to ~50 feet. It illuminates further, but the light drops off fairly quick.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using this one to light up the back yard. The fence in the background is about 250 feet away from the camera, a 2231. The yard is about 220 feet wide. There is IR on in another camera on the shed pointing toward pick-up truck at an angle and another IR behind the shed. The IR is mounted about six feet to the right of the camera and at the same height, in this case about ten or eleven feet off the ground.

back yard night.JPG

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Now that I have my night settings dialed in for my 5231s. Should I also consider full manual settings for day? If so, any suggested settings to start with? I appreciate it!