Optiplex 7020 Ram/SSD Upgrade

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger for a good deal on an Optiplex 7020 SFF i5-4590 and now I wanna upgrade the RAM and add an SSD for the OS since i've read that its the best thing for performance and energy usage. Since i'm new to this i was wondering if anyone had any input/suggestions on brands or particular details I should look for. My system will max at 6-8x 3mp and run BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger for a good deal on an Optiplex 7020 SFF i5-4590 and now I wanna upgrade the RAM and add an SSD for the OS since i've read that its the best thing for performance and energy usage. Since i'm new to this i was wondering if anyone had any input/suggestions on brands or particular details I should look for. My system will max at 6-8x 3mp and run BI.
Adding an ssd is a very tight squeeze in the dell SFF. I think youll need to use double sided velcro...
For ssd, my go to is the crucial mx200. Intel and samsung make good ssd's as well. Stay away from most others.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm planning on using a WD purple for storage.. please don't tell me its gonna be impossible now to have them both in there and that I wasted my $$$

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm planning on using a WD purple for storage.. please don't tell me its gonna be impossible now to have them both in there and that I wasted my $$$
There is a thread here where someone squeezed both in - it was tight. The sff case is pretty small on the dell (the hp sff case easily holds a 2.5+3.5).i did this on an older sandy bridge dell optiplex years ago, simply velcro the drive somewhere into the case. There should be an open sata port.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any idea on how i'd find out the size of the optical bay for one of these? The one I purchased doesn't have the CD/DVD, so its empty but i'm seeing there are caddys u can buy in different sizes (9.5mm/12.7mm) that u can install a 2.5" SSD into. i'm looking all over the internet and can't seem to find the correct size on it.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may want to consider using an internal SSD for the System drive and a USB 3.0 external drive for BI storage.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have the SSD on order, should arrive the same day as the desktop. From what i've read online there is caddy u can buy to house a 2.5" SSD in the same spot where the optical drive should be which on the Optiplex is directly on top of the HDD slot. I haven't ordered the WD Purple yet but ill see how i manage to put that SSD in first and go from there.

I don't have any experience using external USB drives for constant, long term use, just short term backup. Do they have a higher likelihood of failing as opposed to internal SATA drives or can you expect the same reliability/durability?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i have the SSD on order, should arrive the same day as the desktop. From what i've read online there is caddy u can buy to house a 2.5" SSD in the same spot where the optical drive should be which on the Optiplex is directly on top of the HDD slot. I haven't ordered the WD Purple yet but ill see how i manage to put that SSD in first and go from there.

I don't have any experience using external USB drives for constant, long term use, just short term backup. Do they have a higher likelihood of failing as opposed to internal SATA drives or can you expect the same reliability/durability?
Internal is the way to go.

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm interested in upgrading my 7020 optiplex mini tower since it came with 1TB HD which filled up with OS and Blueiris files. I got this one a year ago based on reading @fenderman very helpful posts.
______
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2x 4GB) Non-ECC
1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
16X DVD +/- RW Drive

I have 3 4MB Hikvision bullets and 1 3MB Hikvision and I'm planning to add 2 more 2MB Dahua Starlight Turret.

Is there any more space to add a 4TB drive for storage? Can I add a SSD for OS, clone the OS and then replace the stock HDD with the 4TB for storage?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm interested in upgrading my 7020 optiplex mini tower since it came with 1TB HD which filled up with OS and Blueiris files. I got this one a year ago based on reading @fenderman very helpful posts.
______
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2x 4GB) Non-ECC
1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
16X DVD +/- RW Drive

I have 3 4MB Hikvision bullets and 1 3MB Hikvision and I'm planning to add 2 more 2MB Dahua Starlight Turret.

Is there any more space to add a 4TB drive for storage? Can I add a SSD for OS, clone the OS and then replace the stock HDD with the 4TB for storage?

Thanks
There is room for 2 3.5 drives (unlike the newer 7040 which only has room for 1 3.5 and 2x2.5)...You should have enough sata ports to leave the 1tb in there add the 4tb and mount the ssd using double sided velcro to the bottom of the case...
Dont clone the OS...do a clean install..it takes about 15 to install windows on an ssd...export your blue iris settings and make sure you have the license key..

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is room for 2 3.5 drives (unlike the newer 7040 which only has room for 1 3.5 and 2x2.5)...You should have enough sata ports to leave the 1tb in there add the 4tb and mount the ssd using double sided velcro to the bottom of the case...
Dont clone the OS...do a clean install..it takes about 15 to install windows on an ssd...export your blue iris settings and make sure you have the license key..
Perfect. I was reading about SFF and luckily i have the mini tower. It's from Dell Outlet so I'm not sure where to get that license key.
Any suggestion on if i should get more RAM, which SSD?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perfect. I was reading about SFF and luckily i have the mini tower. It's from Dell Outlet so I'm not sure where to get that license key.
Any suggestion on if i should get more RAM, which SSD?
Your ram is fine...I personally like crucial...look at the mx300...but anything from intel, samsung will be good as well.
Are you running windows 7 or 10?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Windows 10 Pro
then you dont need a key at all...use the microsoft media creation tool to create a bootable usb drive (at least 8gb)...it will install without a key...MS keeps license info based on your pc components...
If you really want, dell will fedex a usb drive with the original OS for free but it will be have their junk on it...just use the media creation tool..