Optiplex for BlueIris

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've decided to ditch my NAS as the camera performance is poor with the inbuilt software. I would like to move over to BlueIris. I have read the Wiki pages on here about buying a refurbished optiplex unit, but I am still a little confused on some of the cpu naming conventions. Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I am running 3x8MP cameras at the moment, running at 25fps. There are some very cheap refurbished optiplex units on ebay here in the UK. Specifically would a i7-3770 (3.4ghz) with 8gb of Ram be OK?
Also are these able to have storage added to them as the included 1TB drive is a bit small.
Appreciate any input thanks.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I went for a HP 600 G2 desktop PC. Really nice and can accommodate an SSD as well as 2 full size hard disks. Mine only came with 4gb ram but I managed to nab a 16gb module from Facebook for £15. Desktop cost me £110 if I remember correctly.

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds good, how many cameras are you running on it?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
CPU is an i5-6500, am currently running 6 Duhua 2Mp Starlight cams but could soon add 2 of the new 4Mp Starlight cams. All cams are set to 15fps with a 6152 bit rate.

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, really appreciate the help bud cheers.

Sawtell

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 9020 with an i5-4570 with 16GB ram and run 6 x 2MP cameras @15fps.

With all cams triggered the CPU hits 25%.

Pretty happy with it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - for what it is worth

In the USA it looks like you can find more affordable deals on used HP systems compared to Dell systems ( do not purchase from larger vendors like NewEgg or Frys or... - they over charge )

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I managed to pick up a refurbed unit, same spec as IAMATeaf for £169, 8GB.
Good stuff Download W10 from the Microsoft Media Creation website and install W10 Pro on it, at the key request screen select the option I don’t have a key (or similar) and hopefully after the install it should activate.

I’ve also just realised it was an 8Gb stick for £15 not 16Gb, so I run my system with 12Gb but for you 8Gb should be fine as BI doesn’t seem to use that much RAM.

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should be arriving tomorrow, thanks for the info ;)

Sawtell

n3wb
Reaction score
These boxes are great value for the money.

I am considering using my Blue Iris optiplex box for a Plex server so have been testing. This is a pretty extreme example and one which I cant think of ever happening in day to day use:

- 6 x 2MP cams @ 15 fps in Blue Iris
- Plex Server with 1 x transcoding stream, 3 x direct stream and 3 x direct play
- Some other background applications

Approximately 35% CPU and 9GB ram used.

optiplex.jpg