Optiplex micro as a BI and recording

nditiz1

n3wb
Reaction score
Planning to pick this up as long as it can handle what I want to do.
[FONT=&quot]
Dell OptiPlex 7040 micro i5-6500T 6th Gen skylake 8GB 128GB SSD Windows 10 PRO

[/FONT]
I am looking to build a BI system that will easily handle 4 1080p 4MP cams. I want 24/7 recording, but only up to a weeks worth. Do I just buy a 2 TB purple WD and hook it to this micro tower via USB to record the stream? What restriction will I have here and is there a better method?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Planning to pick this up as long as it can handle what I want to do.
[FONT=&amp]
Dell OptiPlex 7040 micro i5-6500T 6th Gen skylake 8GB 128GB SSD Windows 10 PRO

[/FONT]
I am looking to build a BI system that will easily handle 4 1080p 4MP cams. I want 24/7 recording, but only up to a weeks worth. Do I just buy a 2 TB purple WD and hook it to this micro tower via USB to record the stream? What restriction will I have here and is there a better method?
usb recording is not optimal...buy a minitower or hp SFF (not ultra slim) and put the drive in the system.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
I recorded 8 cameras with 4mbit streams for several months onto a 4TB drive connected via USB2. Recording was solid, but simultaneous search and playback was a bit laggy. As fenderman said, not optimal but it is doable. Worked out at about 4 megabytes/second, and the USB interface has no issue keeping up 4 times that,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I recorded 8 cameras with 4mbit streams for several months onto a 4TB drive connected via USB2. Recording was solid, but simultaneous search and playback was a bit laggy. As fenderman said, not optimal but it is doable. Worked out at about 4 megabytes/second, and the USB interface has no issue keeping up 4 times that,
Makes no sense when buying a new system when you can buy a system with internal storage.