Ordered 10TB Purple That is the "NEWER" version, Can't find Specs

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking on Amazon for a large 3.5 internaI that l will use for NVR duty. The WD101PURZ seemed a decent deal (10TB/7200/Purple) and then Amazon touted a "Newer model" available. Only a few bux difference; I started trying to find specs,do a comparison and the new model's specs don't seem available, anywhere. I went to WD's site and store. Not even Mentioned on their site. I 'chatted' with their folks and STILL got nowhere except that in the chat she assured me that the 102 drive IS a legit WD product, not some grey-market or clone stuff. She DID link a page where the model number WAS listed on a WD page. Apparently it's quite new. I noticed that there is at least one other WD Purple model where the number sequence was a 1 and then changed to a '2' (I think it was the WD62PURZ nee WD61PURZ) but I'm not sure now. I'm curious if anyone here is aware of the differences or has used this 'new' model?

Reaction score
From what I can see online, the 102 weighs a little more, has a higher operating shock acceleration tolerance and a higher idle power consumption. It looks like this was released in January 2020.

WD upgrades drives every now and then. I went through the same questions when I ordered my WD101PURZ drives, comparing it to the 100PURZ drives.

Got that from comparing specs on the CDW website.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From what I can see online, the 102 weighs a little more, has a higher operating shock acceleration tolerance and a higher idle power consumption. It looks like this was released in January 2020.

WD upgrades drives every now and then. I went through the same questions when I ordered my WD101PURZ drives, comparing it to the 100PURZ drives.

Got that from comparing specs on the CDW website.
Good job on that. WD doesn't have the specs for it...which is a bit bizarre, eh?
The only detail I had found so far was the 102 weighs 0.15 lb more.

Reaction score
Yeah, I searched the WD site but got no hits. The support site is down for maintenance. Maybe it will have info on it when it comes back up. I just did a search on WD102PURZ and one on WD101PURZ and compared the specs for each cam on the cdw.com adds for each cam.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
MAKE SURE THAT THE NVR WILL SUPPORT THAT SIZE DRIVE. Some nvr support 4TB and some 8tb....
I'll have to fess up, here and say that I am using the wrong terminology . It's not actually a NVR. It will serve that duty but actually it is an internal hard drive mounted in an external eSATA cabled case, plugged into the SATA header for the (vacant) 2.5 drive bay in the TINY pc. So it is seen by the pc as onboard drive D:
It's actually not Network connected, it's motherboard connected. This should be the fastest connection possible.
The point remains valid either way; I need to make sure the eSATA case I have will allow addressing all the teras!
If it doesn't I'll sure find one that will.

Reaction score
The spec sheet is on the Western Digital site, if you know where to find it. I attached the spec sheet.

I went through this process a few weeks ago, though I decided to buy the older WD101PURZ model instead.

The WD102PURZ has slightly higher transfer speeds and greater shock resistance, at the cost of higher power consumption and acoustic performance.

Attachments

Reaction score
In terms of storage use in a purple drive--- what are the pros and cons of 5400 vs 7200 rpms--- is a 5400 a severe limiting factor that should cause someone to not even consider it?

Reaction score
5400 rpm is fine as long as the transfer rate suits your needs. 5400 rpm drives should be quieter and use less power.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The spec sheet is on the Western Digital site, if you know where to find it. I attached the spec sheet.

I went through this process a few weeks ago, though I decided to buy the older WD101PURZ model instead.

The WD102PURZ has slightly higher transfer speeds and greater shock resistance, at the cost of higher power consumption and acoustic performance.
Thanks for that! I tried their Search and then spent a good while in chat with WD staff and THEY couldn’t find it(!)