OS Question

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
i am new in this forum and short introduction before starting questions.
I live in northern part of Germany, it was really quiet here. But these days that is changing. After starting to build a fence around my house, i think it is a good idea to install a surveilance system. I got one out of the box, a digital nvr and 6 1080p cameras. Unfortunatly the nvr is doing a very bad job with motion detection. So i am looking for a replacement. I checked several, but i thing Blue Iris is one of the best. The only problem is that it is not available for Linux. So i have a spare PC, 4gb ram and 2cpu@3ghz, only for that job. So what would be the best Windows to put on?
And what and how can i get rid of things i do not need, like printer, email etc.
Can anyone give me an advice?
I remember under xp there were some gamer-versions which were optimized only for playing games.

Thank you for any advice

Deali

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
I live in northern part of Germany, it was really quiet here. But these days that is changing. After starting to build a fence around my house, i think it is a good idea to install a surveilance system. I got one out of the box, a digital nvr and 6 1080p cameras. Unfortunatly the nvr is doing a very bad job with motion detection. So i am looking for a replacement. I checked several, but i thing Blue Iris is one of the best. The only problem is that it is not available for Linux. So i have a spare PC, 4gb ram and 2cpu@3ghz, only for that job. So what would be the best Windows to put on?
And what and how can i get rid of things i do not need, like printer, email etc.
I remember under xp there were some gamer-versions which were optimized only for playing games.

Thank you for any advice

Deali
Welcome to the forum..what is the EXACT model of the cpu..it may not be sufficient for blue iris. You can download the demo to test...make sure to set each camera to record direct to disc (camera properties>record>file format)...
disable object detection in the motion tab.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for any advice

Deali
Windows 7,8 or 10. Record all the time using direct to disk, turn frame rate down until system (BI running) is below 60% CPU usage.