Other people looking at my cameras? Please help a noob

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In blue iris under connections I just seen all these connections that are not me. Have no networking & server experience . Can anyone help me out how to fix this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the connections screen
These are attempted connections as you can see the time is zero...
To properly secure your server use vpn..there is a thread with info on setting it up..

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Ball Sac

You didn't provide any info on how you made Blue Iris visible externally.

But the safest approach is to disable all inbound traffic at the router, then enable VPN server on the router.

VPN Primer for Noobs

If you have a modern router based on DD-WRT (for example), enabling OpenVPN should be "easier" since there is usually a VPN UI. But YMMV.

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Attempt ok- Thank you Fenderman. So if they would of guessed my login password they would of been in?
Actron- I just followed the directions with the tutorial on the software. I will get reading on the VPN so I can get this secured. My router is pretty old so may be time for an upgrade if it is required for the VPN. Thanks guys I'm gonna get on it.

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK so I just read the VPN for nooks & went thru the manual for my router. No where in there do I see any mention of VPN, WRT, DD-WRT, or Open WRT. Only thing close I see is a virtual server & I'm pretty sure that's what I used to get it where it's at now. With that said should I start looking for a newer Asus router?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network.

I don't use one myself.

If you don't expose your Blue Iris on port 80 or 443 (instead pick something random and high like between 40000 and 60000) then the number of random hits on your server will go way way down.

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you bp2008. I am currently on port 8,000 something. I will change it to what you recommend while I am doing my research on a new router.