Outdoor camera with mic and Alarm input

user54t45t

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for an outdoor camera I can attach a PIR sensor to via an Alarm input. I get a lot of random video being recorded due to wind triggering, so I'd like to use a PIR sensor to cut that out. The cameras I've seen that can do this dont have inbuilt mics, and if I was powering it over POE then I wouldn't have 12v for an external mic anyway.. why is this so hard?!
Outdoor camera, Mic, PIR sensor...should be the standard!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for an outdoor camera I can attach a PIR sensor to via an Alarm input. I get a lot of random video being recorded due to wind triggering, so I'd like to use a PIR sensor to cut that out. The cameras I've seen that can do this dont have inbuilt mics, and if I was powering it over POE then I wouldn't have 12v for an external mic anyway.. why is this so hard?!
Outdoor camera, Mic, PIR sensor...should be the standard!
There are many reasons why mic are not standard including cost and legal issues where it cannot be guaranteed that the user/installer will keep the mic off.
Often the best location for the mic or pir sensors is NOT on the camera itself. This allows professional installers to do it right.
Either run an additional cable or utilize the unused pairs to bring power to the mic...there are other creative ideas to power the mic if you search the forum...