Outdoor cameras: longevity / service reliability over time?

Reaction score
Stupid me.. while on my new smartphone, signed up on Reddit Home Security instead of IpCamTalk (which I corrected). Did post something that was more for this website:
-----------
Spent a good couple weeks reading up on cameras, hardware, and software; thanks to this site of wealthy info and opinions.
Pretty sure I'll be going the Dahua/Hikvision hardware path via Andy here, with Blue Iris on a i7 computer.

My day job is running network infrastructure wiring (cat5e/cat6/coaxial) so all cameras will be hardwired. If I can help/give advice about running cabling, let me know. I'll be running outdoor cat6 under the roof eves and then down either PVC or EMT pipes to a box where the cameras will be mounted to. Possibly, 4-8 outdoor cameras. Drip loops will be included along with 2 cables per location.

One point that I am concerned about is the longevity and reliability for outdoor cameras that get blasted by mother nature. At work, we had a customer purchase the Defender analog set (Costco?) we installed and wired. Bullets and dome/indoor and out. Out of 8 outdoor installed, 3 died and 2 more turned green for video signal under a year.

I actually have a couple Defender DVR's and 14-18 cameras just sitting around the office the customer bought as spares that are not longer wanted :)

Though the Dahua/Hikvision cameras seem to be the top dog for visuals... those that have installed them out in the elements, have any failed or caused issue in a year..or 5 years?
-----------------
PS: those looking for outdoor rated cat5e or cat6 (these will always be black coated stiffer thicker cables), keep in mind your local telecommunications business have this stuff on spools/boxes that they trash quite often (we usually trash under 150'). Could easily ask to buy for cheap or get for free.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Stupid me.. while on my new smartphone, signed up on Reddit Home Security instead of IpCamTalk (which I corrected). Did post something that was more for this website:
-----------
Spent a good couple weeks reading up on cameras, hardware, and software; thanks to this reddit of wealthy info and opinions.
Pretty sure I'll be going the Dahua/Hikvision hardware path via Andy here, with Blue Iris on a i7 computer.

My day job is running network infrastructure wiring (cat5e/cat6/coaxial) so all cameras will be hardwired. If I can help/give advice about running cabling, let me know. I'll be running outdoor cat6 under the roof eves and then down either PVC or EMT pipes to a box where the cameras will be mounted to. Possibly, 4-8 outdoor cameras. Drip loops will be included along with 2 cables per location.

One point that I am concerned about is the longevity and reliability for outdoor cameras that get blasted by mother nature. At work, we had a customer purchase the Defender analog set (Costco?) we installed and wired. Bullets and dome/indoor and out. Out of 8 outdoor installed, 3 died and 2 more turned green for video signal under a year.

I actually have a couple Defender DVR's and 14-18 cameras just sitting around the office the customer bought as spares that are not longer wanted :)

Though the Dahua/Hikvision cameras seem to be the top dog for visuals... those that have installed them out in the elements, have any failed or caused issue in a year..or 5 years?
-----------------
PS: those looking for outdoor rated cat5e or cat6 (these will always be black coated stiffer thicker cables), keep in mind your local telecommunications business have this stuff on spools/boxes that they trash quite often (we usually trash under 150'). Could easily ask to buy for cheap or get for free.
Those cameras failed because they were low and crap or they were improperly installed allowing moisture to get into the connections shorting the camera. You will have no problems with quality cameras mounted outdoors. The most common point of failure is improperly sealing the ethernet connection, causing a short in the p o e circuit.

Reaction score
I knew the "Defender" camera set from Costco would be ... cheap and crappy. I more so was asking about the reliability/longevity of Dahua/Hikvision outdoor cameras. I read how great they are for night vision and quality, but not length of time they keep at it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My day job is running network infrastructure wiring (cat5e/cat6/coaxial) so all cameras will be hardwired. If I can help/give advice about running cabling, let me know. I'll be running outdoor cat6 under the roof eves and then down either PVC or EMT pipes to a box where the cameras will be mounted to. Possibly, 4-8 outdoor cameras. Drip loops will be included along with 2 cables per location....

-----------------
Welcome @Holbs

looking forward to seeing you share the best practice for drip loops!

Key: Properly installed, quality products will last.

Dome cameras will take a beating from UV and heat - and those, while they may still function, will eventually have problems due to degradation of the plastics and foam / rubber protecting the lens from internal IR reflections in the dome back into the lens.

If a camera is partially shaded from the sun during periods of extreme heat and shielded partially from rain / snow - it should last longer as you're limiting the extreme temp and humidity ranges of the camera.

Do they eventually fail? - yes. However, that could be by the time you want to replace them anyways.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I knew the "Defender" camera set from Costco would be ... cheap and crappy. I more so was asking about the reliability/longevity of Dahua/Hikvision outdoor cameras. I read how great they are for night vision and quality, but not length of time they keep at it.
once again, they will last many years. They will be obsolete before they fail.

Reaction score
What @mat200 and @fenderman said. The cameras will easily outlive their usefulness. I had two plastic-cased Chinese Dahua IP66-rated turrets outdoors for over two years fully exposed to heat, cold, rain, wind, and insects, and never any issue. The international Dahua versions sold by @EMPIRETECANDY with steel cases are even more rugged and IP67 rated. So long as you keep the RJ45 network and 12VDC barrel connectors out of the weather, they'll be fine. If they must be exposed (like hanging down a tall steel pole) be certain to use silicone dielectric grease in the connectors and wrap them tightly with Coax-Seal or similar waterproofing tape. Or secure them inside a weatherproof box. Or both.